VMware Cloud Community
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

datastore size lowest then show at the storage

Hello, I don't know why when I go add a new datastore the LUN what I created in the storage appear at the VMware lowest then in the storage.

for exemplo, I created a new LUN in the storage with 60GB of size. but when I go to add a datastore this LUN appear only 55,88 GB from 60GB. where are the rest ?? where are other 4.2 GB of my LUN. in the storage it appear with 60GB.

why VMware regard only 55,88GB of 60GB ??

attached follow an screen shows created datastore

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Previous versions of VMware - about a 1 GB was carved out of the datastore to hold the VMFS datastore metadata - I am betting this is what is happening but I am surprised by the amount of space being taken - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

my guess is that it is metadata,  each peice of data, will need a checking a verifying and its address stored in the metadate,  what version of ESX are you running and what version of VMFS?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The storage systems seem to use the "Marketing" GB sizes (base 10) whereas ESXi uses the real sizes (base 2).

On the storage 60 GB equals 60 * (1000 * 1000 * 1000) = 60, 000,000,000 Bytes. If you take the byte size and divide it by (1024 * 1024 * 1024) you will end up with 55.88GB.

André

maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, ESXi 4.1 I don't know how I can see the VMFS version....

0 Kudos
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks.

So.... I Can't change this issue right ?

is very hard loss theses amount of the disk space!

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Basically the storage system "lies" on you and shows more capacity than it really has due to this marketing calculation Usually there is an option in the storage system's configuration to show the real size rather than the marketing size. This will at least allow you to create the LUNs with the desired size.

André

maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So.....Thanks!

My vendor storage is HP model MSA 2312i. I will contact HP.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! very good

0 Kudos