VMware Cloud Community
guand4
Contributor
Contributor

converted windows 7 on vmware server 2.0.2

hello to all,

this is my first post here and i hope i will do everthing fine.

so my problem is: i converted a physical windows 7 x86 OS to a virtual machine using vmware converter 4.3.0-292238. Every thing was fine. Than i added this vmx to vmware server 2.0.2.

i tried to start the vm, and now an error occurs "vmware server does not support windows 7"

if i install windows 7 using the "Vista" OS everything works fine.

is there anybody with a wonderfull idea to resolve this problem...

many thks

guand4

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If VMserver runs the windows 7 as vista then use the same guestOS setting in the vmx-file for your imported Windows 7

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi guand4,

I'm not too sure if you are still in need of assistance concerning this issue, but if you are, here is some additional information which might help you.

So the Windows 7 operating system is not certified for use as a guest operating system with VMware Server 2.0.2. See page 31 of the VMware Server Admin Guide at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmserver2.pdf

However Windows Vista is a certified operating system.

This is why the error "vmware server does not support windows 7" is thrown when you attempt to power on a virtual machine where the Guest Operating System flag is set to"Windows 7".

Since Windows Vista is certified for use, when you have a virtual machine where the Guest Operating System flag is set to "Vista" then it will power on without throwing this message.

Because of the above information, this is why the workaround provided by "Continium" would work. In essence, by changing the Guest Operating System flag to "Vista", VMware Server will then assume that the contents of the virtual machine is in fact that of Windows Vista and not of Windows 7.

Note: Although the above workaround will allow you to power on your Windows 7 virtual machine in VMware Server 2.0.2, because this operating system has not passed certification by VMware, then you will not be able obtain support from VMware Tech Support.

Here is some additional information concerning VMware Converter. When you convert a system, Converter will assign a value to to the Guest Operating System flag of the resulting virtual machine. This value is essentially whatever operating system type that is reported to Converter when it scans the source machine.

In your case, as you converted a Windows 7 machine, Converter would have known it was Windows 7 and as a result it assigned that value to the Guest Operating System flag of the resulting virtual machine.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Graham Daly

Knowledge Champion

VMware Inc.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

then you will not be able obtain support from VMware Tech Support.

I doubt that this matters - as vmserver is end of life I doubt anybody would expect support for an issue with running a guest

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
guand4
Contributor
Contributor

big thanks to you all,

i saw, that the win 7 os was connected as a "unkwnown" guetst. i changed it to win vista and than it worked fine... sorry for the brainstormings i activated, it was my fault....

thanks and br....

0 Kudos