VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

add additional vDisk to a VM, is this another VM or just storage??

Hello,

We are planning an ESX Starter install at my agency and I am researching various topics.

I know that in Workstation I can create another disk to add to, say, a Windows XP VM, is the process the same for ESX??

Basically I'll set up a C:\ drive Win2k3 Server template and then add disks as their D:\ drives for installing software and their relevant data.

Is the extra disk considered another VM or is it just considered usage of storage in the VMFS file system??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This would be just another disk file (vmdk file) for a VM (vmx file).

Just as if you'd plug in another drive into a physical Server/PC.

cheeko

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This would be just another disk file (vmdk file) for a VM (vmx file).

Just as if you'd plug in another drive into a physical Server/PC.

cheeko

0 Kudos
gogogo5
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

When you add an additional virtual hard disk you are creating another vmdk file which will be located (by default) in the same location (folder) as your VM.

That vmdk file, like your C drive will have its space pre-allocated in creation.

tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for clarifying this. Starter has some restrictions on it so I am being careful. Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is the process the same for ESX??

the process is almost the same, even the look and feel is similar

Is the extra disk considered another VM or is it just considered usage of storage in the VMFS file system??

no it's just another VMDK file in the VMs folder

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok. Good always good to know it before ... Smiley Happy

But Starter is not restricted in the number of VMs and/or disk files you can create or run. It's basically the storage (no SAN shared with other ESX hosts), the memory (up to 8GB) and the CPUs (up to 4) that are restricted.