VMware Cloud Community
roy3_16
Contributor
Contributor

XP VM performance from console

Hi

i have 3 XP vms with terrible performance form console. the vms are on a different vlan as they are used for vpn access to client sites. each vm has a public ip address and uses optus dns servers. i cant see and memory, cpu or disk bottle neck but the vm takings ages to do anything. i have listed everything i have tried below.

VM specs: 1024mb memory with 512 mb reservation, 1cpu with 1500mhz reservation. ESX 3.5 running on Dell Power Edge 1955. VI 2.5 update 4.

reduced color depth to 256 colours

changed visual setting for best performance

turned off system restore

vmware tools is running and upto date

no indexing on local disk

server 2003 vms run fine

i have not tested RDP as i have to put the VMs on our internal network to do this.

any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

did you set the right hardware acceleration mode from your xp? that will impact the respond of the vm.

beside that, what is the utilization of your vm? from memory, storage, and cpu?

Craig

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
roy3_16
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

yes acceleration is full

CPU UsageinMHz(Average) : 139

Memory Consumed(Average): 699193KB

Disk Usage(Average): 105 KBps

Thanks

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Anything else running on the ESX Server? How much memory is on the host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
roy3_16
Contributor
Contributor

all up 21 VMs on the host

Memory usage on the host 12.5GB/16GB

all the server 2003 VMs are fine

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

number of vcpus in your vms? do you have all three consoles open simultaneously? Are there any other consoles in useto the 18 ther vms? do all the vms have cd-roms/floppies that are connectected to the vm? if this is ESX how much memory is assigned tot he service console?

0 Kudos
roy3_16
Contributor
Contributor

1 vcpu on each VM. performance is same if you have all three consoles or just the one open. only these three VMs use the console. all three VMs have CDroms connected to host device /dev/scdo. no floppy. service console has 272mb.

0 Kudos