VMware Cloud Community
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

XP Can not find hard disk during installation via RIS

Hello,

I am trying to automatically install Windows XP via RIS, where the XP is a virtual machine.

The setup process stops after complaining "Setup did not find any hard disk drives".

Here is what I have already done:

1) Unpacked and placed on the RIS server, under i386\$OEM$\TEXTMODE the drivers for LSI20320-R.

2) Updated in textsetup.oem the line

d1 = "LSI Logic PCI Fusion-MPT Miniport Driver (XP 32-bit)", \, \

3) Updated in the ristndrd.sif file:

\[MassStorageDrivers]

"LSI Logic PCI Fusion-MPT Miniport Driver (XP 32-bit)" = "OEM"

OemPnPDriversPath=”
%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\$OEM$\textmode”

DUDisable=no

DriverSigningPolicy=ignore

\[OEMBootFiles]

alsipseud.inf

mpixp32.cat

MPT_INTRO.TXT

mpt_legal.txt

MPT_READ.TXT

symmpi.inf

symmpi.pdb

symmpi.sys

symmpi.tag

symmpixp_12018.txt

txtsetup.oem

4) restarted BINL service on the RIS server

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
KidE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should use the LSI Buslogic xx320 driver from the LSI site and use the type that is WHQL certified.

Try this and it should function without any problems.

If so let me know

0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have tried using LSI20320-R which is WHQL at:

http://www.lsilogic.com/cm/License.do?url=/files/support/ssp/whql/LSI20320-R_xp_50700_01034132IT_120...

and it doesn't work.

Can you please point me to exact file to download?

Also, in the textsetup.oem line , wrote:

d1 = "LSI Logic PCI Fusion-MPT Miniport Driver", \, \

Should it be so, or I am missing something?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not 100% certain about ESX, but I think all the products use the same driver. The docs for VMware Server state the LSI SCSI adapter as:

"LSI Logic Ultra160 LSI53C10xx SCSI controller" So, I'd find the driver for that card.

0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please send the direct link for this?

I find to many options at lsilogic.com for this cards family

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

If you are using ESX why not just do one install and create a template from that to create future xp machines? This is a much quicker and less troublesome procedure. With Guest customization you can customize each machine and think of all the time you will save trying to find the right drivers for RIS.

Oh and there is a floppy image with the LSI Logic driver you need available for download from the vmware web site.

Message was edited by:

vmmeup

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

This may be the last option I will use. But now, I have a chalange,

and chalanges we overcome and not go around them..... Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please send the direct link for this?

I find to many options at lsilogic.com for this cards

family

Hmm... sorry, I use IDE drives for almost all of my VMs. They're so much easier to deal with. I think, though, that Mike has a link on the Ultimate P2V page for the LsiLogic driver used with BartPE. http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?page_id=174

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

I couldn't find the floppy image disk, but if you mount the vmware tools ISO file you can copy it to a floppy and either make an image of it or just put it in the drive.

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
KidE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

on the esx server yuou can do

mkdir /mnt/iso

mount -o loop /../../windows.iso /mnt/iso

et voila .iso is mounted and you can brouwse is as you whish

0 Kudos
KidE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Mark:

Ik think there is a session missing in the .sif-file like:

\[OemDriverParams]

OemDriverRoot=""

OemDriverDirs= Storage1, Storage2

Storage1 en Storage2 are the folders which contain the drivers. RThe folders should be located under I396\System32.

Greety,

E

0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

Hi KidE and thanks for replying to my Q,

I have d/l and extraced the drivers from LSI (they have updated their web site):

http://www.lsilogic.com/cm/License.do?url=/files/support/ssp/whql/LSI20320-R_xp_50700_01034132IT_120...

(it is LSI20320-R)

to \remoteinstall\setup\english\images\winxp\i386\system32\vmware

and in risndrd.sif I have placed:

\[OemDriverParams]

OemDriverRoot=""

OemDriverDirs=vmware

I have restarted BINL service, still same results.

The XP installation stops and complains it can't find HD.

Is it that no one here made unattened Windows XP installation for Guest XP?!

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

I just did one install and use a template to deploy with system custimization wizard. Works great. Don't see the point in doing an unattended install.

0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

Hello vmmeup,

If I have various disk sizes, I prefer not to play with the internal linux (vmkftools commands), as I don't own the Virtual Center.

anyway, I am amazed vmware don't have a document to do unattened XP installation (or it does have, and I am missing something)

0 Kudos
stuart_ling
Contributor
Contributor

Mark

We have a RIS setup for vmware builds, and have copied in the relevant bits, i think that you need the files in the i386 and drivers path folder but MS KB 314479 shoud help. Hope this helps.

Stuart

\[OEMBootFiles]

symmpi.inf

symmpi.sys

txtsetup.oem

\[MassStorageDrivers]

"LSI Logic PCI Fusion-MPT Driver (XP 32-bit)" = "OEM"

\[Unattended]

OemPnpDriversPath=Drivers\VM\LSI

0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stuart,

It is very encouraging to know that there are people who were able to do it!

I have placed the drivers in the i386 directory and update the \[MassStorageDrivers] portion at the ristndrd.sif file.

I also have the \[Unattended] stuff in the ristndrd.sif file.

Still, it stops and saying XP can't find HD.

1) Can you please let me know do you have the following exact line at txtsetup.oem:

d1 = "LSI Logic PCI SCSI/FC MPI Miniport Driver", \, \

2) I may be not using the right driver. Is there a way you can point me to the *exact* URL where I can download the driver?

Any other glitches which I may missed, are more than welcome to be mentioned.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Mark

Why don't you use the buslogic driver located here

http://www.vmware.com/download/gsx/drivers_tools.html

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Mark-User
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kide, and thanks for taking the time to look for this issue.

I have read this thread 3 times, and the only think I didn't do was

Putting OEMPreinstall=YES at the answer file.

I tried it, and still the XP installation stops and says it can't find HD

I have used all the suggested drivers at this thread, and still no go.

I think I need an exact point to the drivers that did work for stuart ling,

and also to know if I need to modify txtsetup.oem.

I think those two answers can help me to successfully deploy Windows XP SP2 via RIS into ESX 3.

0 Kudos
stuart_ling
Contributor
Contributor

I have just setup another RIS install to check I have all the steps that you need.

On your RIS server you will need to create a folder for the SCSI driver (LSI or Buslogic) e.g. VMSCSI, in you .sif file this will be referred on the OemPnpDriversPath line (e.g. OemPnpDriversPath=drivers\vmscsi - the drivers folder is under the $1 folder. At the same level as the $1 and $oem$ folders create a textmode folder and place the same drivers in here as well. Then use the \[OEMBootFiles] section to add the .sys, .inf and txtsetup.oem files that you have placed in the drivers folder.

Create a new VM in ESX and then select the relevant SCSI controller for the drivers that you are using and boot the machine, as long as it can network boot and connect to the RIS server all should be fine.

To use the BusLogic driver I downloaded the vmware scsi driver that is found under Drivers and Tools for Vmware server.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,

Stuart

0 Kudos