VMware Cloud Community
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Word Doc issues on Virtual File Server

Greetings

At the agency I support, we have a user in Puerto Rico using a file server in the Wash DC area and experiencing issues. I don't "believe" this to be related to the fact that the file server is a virtual machine, however I am trying to cover all bases in this odd issue. We cannot replicate the issue on physical file servers either.

The issue

· User can not open a Word document located on a virtual file server

What we know

· This is not an issue with his PC or Office install

· We can open a document which is on a physical server buried many folders deep (longer UNC path).

· Whether the drive is mapped 1 folder deep or all the way down to the folder with the document, the document can not be opened

· He has modify access to all the folders and documents under the share

· He can open the document when transferred from share to his desktop

· He can open Excel and PDF's from the share without issue.

· He can open Word documents from
virutalserver\sharename\subfolder\subfolder, but if he goes a folder deeper he can not open a document

I am inclined to think this is a network or OS level issue. This has only been reported (to my knowlege) by one user, when this file server is accessed by >1,000 users daily. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what could be causing the issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

~grc

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

can you open the file from another pc other than this user? If you can than it is with his machine if not might have to do with the access to the file -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apparently a "new" laptop has remedied the issue. Still unsure why it was only experienced on the virtual file server and not the physical, but I think it's safe to say it was machine specific, since nothing with his account or the target file server changed.

Thanks

~grc

0 Kudos