VMware Cloud Community
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows7beta on ESX - are you able to install vmtools ?

Hi,

Running Windows7 beta on ESX using Other OS option. I can not install Vmware Tools so wondering if anyone has gotten the tools to work or if there is another way to get tools installed and working to improve performance etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, the tools work fine. The issue is which configuration you use to install Windows 7. Since there isn't an official config for it yet, you have to use something else. I chose windows 2003, tools work fine, drivers work great.

So try a different configuration and see if you get better results.

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I specified Vista 32bit for the vm options, and the vmtools failed to install the first time (just sat there forever not doing anything after selecting "typical") , then worked fine the second attempt.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ASIadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Just throwing this out there, because I haven't had time to prove it yet:

I'm beginning to think the difference between my first failed attempt and my second successful attempt may be the difference between clicking on the setup icon and then waiting to be prompted for admin creds (failed), and opening the VMware tools CD in explorer and using right-click to "Run as Administrator" from the get-go (succeded). Almost as if it gets installed with mixed creds, and that screws it up.

Anyone care to chime in?

0 Kudos