VMware Cloud Community
jonb157
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows swap file in a VM

Okay, I have a Windows Admin telling me that his 1GB VM needs way more memory allocated to it. He sees Windows Task Manager showing that his "page file usage" is at 1.25GB; therefore the entire 1GB is used and now the VM is swapping to disk. However, I see only 50% memory usage during this same time in VirtualCenter. Which metric is right and how to I analyze these two descrepancies? I understand all the sharing mechanisms VmWare uses, but still how do you convince a Windows person that what they see in Task Manager, is not correct? Am i missing something here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert

you are correct and nothing missing. You know that the argument is not easy to explain at your "traditional admin". Smiley Wink

You can use vmware graph from VCS for this specific VM to convince your aministrator.

Check also balooning value (only real time) graph to undesrtand if you are in a constrained memory situation.

Check entire conditions of memoty esx host where this vm is running.

Try to use step-by-step approach: for example; increase VM memory from 1 to 1,5Gb. Perform benchmark before change and after change and paragone it.

Bye Alberto

Anders_Gregerse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could use the perfmon in the Windows vm to monitor page faults/sec and page reads/sec to see if any swapping occurs. But remember, seeing is believing, show your admin what you do and how and not the least why.