VMware Cloud Community
rnuophx
Contributor
Contributor

Windows has detected that the system firmware (BIOS) was updated message in event logs after VM restart

This message appears in the event logs after a VM restart, the host underwent a 3.01 -> 3.02 upgrade approximately 1 month ago. This is the first time this VM has been restarted since the upgrade, it was not restarted as part of the upgrade.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 44

Date: 9/6/2008

Time: 11:36:10 PM

User: N/A

Computer: S00DMZ3

Description:

Windows has detected that the system firmware (BIOS) was updated .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

I wouldn't worry about that too much as long as the system is running correct. It probably is caused by changes the the virtual Bios from 3.01 to 3.02.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

If someone has a idea on that, I'm interested...

I got this message too yesterday after a simple reboot of a VM...

0 Kudos
eric_heilig
Contributor
Contributor

I found the same notification in my event logs after a recent network outage. Several VMs stopped responding to RPC and the following message was issued after a reboot.

Windows has detected that the system firmware (BIOS) was updated

previous firmware date = 04/17/06, current firmware date 01/30/08.

It should be noted that none of these VMs moved between ESX clusters and none had recent upgrades to VM tools. For the record, the entire cluster is standardized at ESX 3.5u1 + some patches (build# 84374) and I am using VC 2.5u1 (build# 84767). The guest OS is Win2k3 sp2, standard edition.

Ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to Virtual MAchine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
rnuophx
Contributor
Contributor

correct

0 Kudos