VMware Cloud Community
JeffST
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows XP and LSI adapters wont work (yes i use the correct drivers)

Versions: ESX 3.5 VC2.5

Windows XP SP2 install from ISO

I want to use the LSI adapter, and have created a driver .flp wich contains the correct drivers from the LSI website.

All goes well and after F6, and Pressing "E" for the driver disk it reads the correct adapter/driver details.

However, when i want to specify i want to install using the driver on the floppy (.flp), i have to press "S". The thing is... VI console does not respond to the "S" key, i can only press "Enter" which would use the default windows drivers (as explained in the text on the screen). When i then press "enter" i it shows the driver name and wants to continue, but still no disks found.

I cant see what im doing wrong here and why the "S" key does not respond.

am i missing something?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
m1kew1lson
Contributor
Contributor

Zip file in this thread worked for me on 3.5. Thanks

0 Kudos
lewisma
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem with LSI adaptors, i tried the ones on the LSI site and also the .ZIP file attached in this discussion. I can specify the driver OK on the Virtual floppy image, but the WinXP setup still cannot find any hard disks. The only way i can get this to work is to use the VMware SCSI controller found at the bottom of this useful link ()

Is it OK to use the VMware SCSI Controller or should i be using the LSI adaptor instead, will i see any perfromance issues, or any other problems if all my XP guests use the VMware SCSI controller ?

I will have 30 WinXP guests, so i would like to know the preferred method before i start to build the other guests.

I'm using ESX3.5 and VC2.5

Thanks

0 Kudos
KazO
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into the same issue with the current 1.26.05 drivers from LSI. I foolishly overwrote a working flp I already had, thinking newer=better! :smileysilly:

Luckily, Will_F-1's flp worked for me. I don't believe the text install uses PNPIDs to figure out what's compatible (and the ID ESX uses is still in the new inf anyhow), but the new LSI-provided drivers do not work in ESX3.5U2b110268, at least not as the F6 floppy.

Kazuto Okayasu

Administrative Computing Services

University of California, Irvine

Kazuto Okayasu Administrative Computing Services University of California, Irvine
0 Kudos
Symbion_Tech
Contributor
Contributor

This may help someone. I had huge problems with all of the lsi drivers whether i incorporated them with nlite (got a BSOD after setup) or mounted the floppy and f6'ed them (cannot copy file). I could not get the buslogic to work with the floppy as i also got the "cannot copy file". What finally worked was mounting the buslogic floppy (Buslogic 1.2.0.4.flp) onto an existing vm and and then incorporating those files with nlite into a new xp with sp2 iso.

0 Kudos
Symbion_Tech
Contributor
Contributor

sorry double posted.

0 Kudos
JohnBons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I created a pdf with a small tut attached .

Blog buslogic-to-lsi

0 Kudos
Symbion_Tech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that John, i gave it a go. No joy though.

This line was present: scsi0.present = "true" but this line was not present: scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic", so i added it.

Then i added:

scsi1.present = "true"

scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

When i boot the vm xp detects the lsi but it does not appear in the vm settings. when i try and load the 1.20.18.00 version of the driver i get Device Cannot Start (code 10).

any ideas?

Sorted! Nlited with the 1.20.18.00 version of the driver from the lsi site; the one linked in this thread caused me a bsod after setup.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Its too Bad vmware wouldn't get their crap together and actually post a working link to the drivers on their support site.

Even their documentation references multiple different versions. I am going through the vmware view manager deployment guide released by vmware and it has a link to the LSI53C1030 driver as part of the XP Build section of this document and after installing XP with the buslogic and then adding a new harddrive on SCSI 1:0 and changing the new controller to LSI, it doesn't recognise the drivers they recommended.

Obviously vmware is as confused as the rest of us when it comes to using the correct lsi driver.

0 Kudos
ibmer007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Symbion Tech,

Would you mind trying one more time? Try this time with the full instruction on my blog post with step by step & snap shot of each step including the driver download link.

It has worked for me & quite few of my friends so I am pretty sure it should work for you if you follow it up correctly. Check it out at

Windows XP no scsi driver on VMware ESX

I hope this help, if so please reward points :).

"Nothing can't be virtualized, even people"

VMware Certified Professiona (VCP)

http://www.virtualizationteam.com Active Memeber

"Nothing can't be virtualized, even people" VMware Certified Professiona (VCP) http://www.virtualizationteam.com Active Memeber
0 Kudos