Windows XP Pro running in VMplayer only loading some websites (Bing, MSN)
I'm running Windows XP Pro on VMplayer and using Internet Explorer, but cannot connect to most sites - I get the "The page cannot be displayed" error. When I run "Diagnose Connection Problems", I get:
"Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on the computer."
I've been stuck on this for a while and have tried many things I found online for people who seemed to have a similar problem resolved, some things I've tried are:
- Disabled all firewalls on my machine.
- Deleted all antivirus softwares (did not detect any spyware/ malware)
- Using Bridged for Network Adapter (and yes, device status is connected).
- ipconfig /flushdns
- Set LAN settings in Internet Options as only "automatically detect settings".
- Reset IE settings
I'm using static IP. The strange part here is that certain sites work perfectly but most of them can't get past the error message. I'm running Windows 10 on my host computer and connected to a wireless adapter which runs fine on my other virtual machines. I'm also trying using a ethernet cable to connect to my router but I don't know if that makes it worse or better. Also, pinging works.
Please let me know if you have ANY suggestions! I'm stuck...
P.S. I'm not able to connect to any non-msn or bing sites so I can't really download anything off other sites. (Also, I'm hoping not to switch browsers so hopefully the solution isn't to switch to firefox or something like that.)
In case your host is Windows 10 Creators Update (aka 1703, aka build 15063), there is a "Network Reset" feature.
I had to do this "Network Reset" some time back after the 1703 update with a Workstation Pro 12.5.7. The VMs I have would have strange problems as you faced (e.g. websites without www in the URL fail to open but ping is OK, the problem is only apparent when using WiFi through NAT, using wired via Bridged/NAT is OK).
Note that "Network Reset" will wipe out whatever WiFi hotspots and VPN settings you have and can take a few minutes. I didn't time the activity but I estimate it took 3-5 minutes.