VMware Cloud Community
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2003 horrible performance on ESX 3.5u4

Hello all, i have a Server 2003 Enterprise server running on proliant DL380 G5's with dual 3.0 xeon quad core cpus, 4gb memory commited to guest. All of a sudden i've notied it is horribley slow. takes forever to do anything within on the guest. other machines on the esx hosts run fine. the cpu looks like its getting pegged on guest itself, but the VI performance graphs show that it averages around 200-300Mhz.

Pretty much all the guest settings are vanilla. I try not to customize that stuff if ever at all possible.

So if the guest cpu is pegged, but its barely touching the host cpu counters, what could be going on here? I've had this vm up for abou 2 years without problems (as far as i know).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cxo
Contributor
Contributor

Check the VM's settings:

Virtual Machine Properties ->

Resources

I have had this issue in the past (especially when cloning or upgrading from 3.02. to 3.5.1 when the CPU (and more importantly memory) setting for Limit is screwed up. Try checking that and see if the limit is bad and/or if it is better to just check the "Unlimited" check box (my default).

0 Kudos
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor

all that stuff is set correctly, with unlimited shares, etc.

I noticed fragmentation within the vm is insanely high. I'm trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not insanely high fragmentation can cause cpu pegging.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

I noticed fragmentation within the vm is insanely high.

If this is the real problem, you must notice bad I/O performance into your VM.

You have to use performance monitor to see were are the bad performance.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andre | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
DanielJay
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a cause of this high CPU usage? At my organization we have just started seeing this happen on a Windows 2003 Terminal Server.

0 Kudos