VMware Cloud Community
csindelar
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2000 VM is losing time

I have a windows 2000 server file server that is losing time at the rate of 15 minutes an hour. After a certain point, users can't map drives due to the difference it time. I've enabled Time Synchronization in VMware Tools, and disabled time synch in Windows, per a VMware KB article and to no avail.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

I have a Windows 2003 file server that seems to functioning just fine.

Help!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
uslacker99
Expert
Expert

How many VMs do you have? How many cpus do you have on the system and how many cpus have you given to all of your VMs? You should be giving them the minimal that they need to run. Rather than use VMware tools time sync, perhaps w32time would be better.

0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert

1) Is the server a domain controller? If not, how does the time compare to the domain controller?

2) Is the time on the ESX host correct?

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
alhamad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to make sure that you disabled W32Time on your VM by changing the type in the relevant registry key to "NoSync".

Are you using NTP to synchronize your ESX server? What about the PDC emulator, what method are you using to sync it?

0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

There was an ESX host patch released recently (last couple of cycles) for time keeping problems on Win2K. Check the patches to see if it applies to the version of ESX that you are running.

I've seen this problem on a couple different Win2K boxes, and I switched back and forth between using the tools for timekeeping and then back to Windows time and that helped. My problems were not ready time / cpu constrained problems. You will want to check that first if you haven't already.

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you may want to try the "Descheduled time accounting" service in your W2K VM : http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_esx_vmdesched.pdf

0 Kudos
francisbandi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try these - in.vmx file

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

tools.syncTime.period = "30"

For this parameters to take effect, the patch http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002082 had to be applied on the ESX server.

0 Kudos