VMware Cloud Community
Bill_Morton
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Delayed Write Failed - Need suggestions

My Virtual Center machine (a windows 2003 R2 Enterprise server running as a virtual machine) keeps throwing "Windows - Delayed Write Failed" Windows was unable to save all of the data for the file \Device\vstor2-vci10-486946907E0........\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere. ... another: ... "The following information is part of the event: \Device\v." "Delayed Write Failed .... \Device\vstor2-vci10-486907e0........\Program Files\Internet Explorer\. The data has been lost."

The event log also shows An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

All of this seems to hapen every day when I have the task scheduled for update manager (also running on this machine) to scan all of the virtual machines. Any ideas or things to check? I should also note the the task for virtual machine updating is failing as well (Scan failed).

I have tried upgrading to the new VC 2.5 update 1 when the errors first occured; but it did not resolve the issue. When I installed the new updates, I did have a permissions issue, but a reboot solved that.

Is my VM corrupt, or what can I check into?

Storage is Equallogic iSCSI SAN with Qlogic HBA's. Servers HP Proliant DL385G2. None of my other VM's are having this issue (10 others). ESX 3.5.0 77234 Enterprise w/ HA, DRS, Vmotion.

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

A "Delayed Write Failed" error only comes up on a few cases (if it is a genuine windows error). Either the network connection was disrupted somewhere which could be due to hardware/setup error or you are having some form of opportunistic locking issues.

The latter will only occur if you use software that uses ISAM databases on a LAN and you would need to adjust oplock settings for that or move the ISAM files from networked to local.

Next step would be to find out some more details on the error, there should be some mention of this in the windows eventlog, check that one to see if it has some more clues in pinpointing the reasons.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Bill_Morton
Contributor
Contributor

You may have brought up a really good point ... I just checked and I happen to have this VM on the same LUN as my ESX-Ranger machine is running on ... and it has an ISAM database on the backend (Just saw that in the event logs this morning as I was writing this post). I missed that since most of my VM's have their own LUN, it just happened that these two are together right now, and the timing matches up to the backup on Ranger as well.

I'll move the storage and see if the problem goes away ... then have to troubleshoot why my update manager is failing the 'xml' download.

I will award points if there are no errors tomorrow!

edit: facepalm - how to migrate a VM storage disk between luns when it is the VM running virtual center =( Time to dig into the CLI. Unless I can convert to a independent disk, then storage vmotion, then change back ... humm.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Just an FYI. There is another user on this forum that has had major issues trying to svmotion a vm that had independant disks, so you might want to consider another option. Converter would be another way to move it.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another VMware product, but the same issue, you might want to read this thread.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos