VMware Cloud Community
benp23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 7 hangs at "Expanding files"

Trying to install Windows 7 beta from an iso and it reaches "Expanding files" and hangs there forever at 0%. Have tried creating the vm as both Vista and Server 2008, both hang at the same point. Disk is on iSCSI, iso is on my local machine. HD is 40GB and RAM is 2GB. I see this is working for other folks---what am I missing? We run vCenter 2.5 with clustered ESX 3.5.

Help?

Thanks,

benp23

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Colonel_K
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I chose Windows Vista 64bit (for Win 7 x64)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FYI I used Windows 2003, but when you change configuration, you can't simply switch, you have to start over with a FRESH config, by create a NEW VM, and setting it to the appropriate OS.

Other than that I did an install of Windows 7 this morning and it worked perfect.. Well it's a Microsoft product, so "perfect" is a relative term.. but it didn't stop at expanding files. . . .

benp23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Specifying win 2003 still hangs at "expanding files." O well.

benp23

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well not sure if there is a way to make a boot disk, I know many years ago you could make a boot floppy from the disk, and boot from floppy and then run install from the floppy, and it will read the disk files. This is rather involved but you expand the ISO images to a blank VM disk attached to an existing VM. Then shutdown that VM once you copy the expanded ISO files, detach the VM disk for the windows 7 drive, boot with the floppy for Windows 7 (if possible), and try install again.

There is another option, but not very clean, install Vista (or XP) and upgrade to Windows 7. It's just beta..... so doing this shouldn't be a big deal. That's another option. I didn't have any trouble with the ISO's. But if you choose upgrade copy the setup files/folder to the local drive and run the install from the local drive NOT the ISO/CD. Then you won't need the ISO later and the install is a bit faster also.

Colonel_K
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you sure your ISO is not defective? It's a heck of a large download but can you try downloading it again?

I installed W7 x64 this morning on ESX3.5u3 giving it 2 CPU and 4GB RAM. Just installed VMTools and so far so good for performance. With VMtools though, the VMXNet driver doesn't install so you retain the E1000 original driver when you create the VM.

0 Kudos
benp23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Going to try with a CD in the host rather than pointing to the ISO on my local. Which OS type should I choose?

Thanks,

benp23

0 Kudos
Colonel_K
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I chose Windows Vista 64bit (for Win 7 x64)

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

I'm installing windows 7 now on ESX 3.02. I selected Vista 32 bit as the OS. 10Ghdd, 512mb ram.

It was sitting on the "expanding files 0%" for about 10-15 minutes, now its finally starting going up.

How long did you wait before giving up?

0 Kudos
benp23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was a bad ISO and I gave up after the third try. Ended up using an ISO from CD and choosing Vista 64-bit. Installed fine after that.

benp23

0 Kudos
Colonel_K
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I should get the points then :smileygrin:

0 Kudos