VMware Cloud Community
ChristianWickha
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 x64 and Sysprep

I get an error "Windows could not be configured to run on your hardware" after running the Windows 2008 (x64) Sysprep process. I get the same error when I use the ESX customisation process when deploying from a template, and when I run the built-in Sysprep command (as per ) But, I can run the old NewSID command () and this works fine, but Microsoft do not support that method.

I can create a new installation of Windows 2008 x64 and Windows 2008 R2 x64, but each time I try to use Sysprep on any 2008 x6 machine on ESX, I get the generic warning that it can't continue, with only an OK button and then it reboots.

Am I doing something wrong here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jpratt_at_norwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2008 R2 support is "experimental", as it is officially released tomorrow, Oct 22nd 2009 , and has no built-in method of sysprep'ing within vcenter, or to the best of my knowledge , any manual way like newsid either.

Unless someone can prove differently, we'll have to be patient I guess.... personally, the fact that most backup software vendors seem to be further behind on the VSS changes troubles me more than this one! Smiley Sad

regards,

Jamie

0 Kudos
ChristianWickha
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if the link I used in my posting confused anyone - I find this problem with the original version of Windows Server 2008.

It happens both if I try using the vCenter based customisation, and also by running the Microsoft copy of Sysprep that is supplied and installed in C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe on all Windows 2008 systems.

I am assuming that either there is a requirement to use a specific XML file for installing the hardware drivers for ESX virtual machines - or maybe an attempt by Microsoft to prevent easy implementation of VMWare based servers?

Interestingly, Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64 only) is NOT affected by this same problem

0 Kudos