VMware Cloud Community
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 template

guys

I am about to build a windows 2008 server and later convert into a template for future server deployment.

Just concerned over sysprep stuff, I know sysprep is built in under windows 2008 but still want to double check , is there any thing thats need to be done in this regard? or just simply deploy new servers from the newly created template .

secondly, I am concerned that whatever changes i will make on the server after the installation( before converting to template) would be lost once it will go under sysprep process. bcoz new SID will create new admin profile and whatever changes I have made under previous administrator would be lost.

any "steps by steps" would be highly appreciable .

thanks in adv

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, I have a 2008 Server template I use. After I deploy a new copy I run sysprep. After sysprep is done I have to re-enter the windows key to activate the new VM.

As posted previously I've heard that generating a new SID on 2008 machines isn't really necessary. I figure it can't hurt, so I sysprep my new VM's anyways..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check this out. http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

It might just change your mind of changing the SID.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to the Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
jreininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Software you install that is desgined for 'all users' will continue to exist and work fine after your Sysprep the VM. For example, if you install the VMware tools and all MS updates they will still be there after you Sysprep the VM.

Keep in mind you might want to work out your KMS / MAK setup too, as the new VM will look like new hardware and you will need to activate it to keep using Win 2k8 R2 for > 30days. I found I had to install a KMS patch on my template VM so the KMS process would work correctly. You can watch some MS videos online here.

KMS Activation for Windows® 7 and Windows Server® 2008 R2 (Video)

_>_

Windows Server 2008 KMS Setup Demonstration (Video to be downloaded)

>

VMware VCP 3.5 VMware VCP 4.0 VMware VCP 5.0
technologist123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jr

Just to clarify more.

I have not deployed yet 2008 server from 2008 template. I did 2003 heaps in the past.

Like in 2003 , u normally choose customization option and enter the product key every time and then further you go to New SID generation option. At the end of the process i never came across any windows activation key.

In 2008 :

After deploying server , it will prompt for key activation unless we apply the patch ?

is my understanding correct.?

thanks

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, I have a 2008 Server template I use. After I deploy a new copy I run sysprep. After sysprep is done I have to re-enter the windows key to activate the new VM.

As posted previously I've heard that generating a new SID on 2008 machines isn't really necessary. I figure it can't hurt, so I sysprep my new VM's anyways..

0 Kudos