VMware Cloud Community
GCopestake
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 activation on ESXi

Hi folks,

I have a Dell 2950 on which i have installed ESXi (free version). For this physical box I have purchased a copy of Windows 2008 Datacentre edition to take advantage of the unlimited virtualisation rights.

I'm under the impression I can install as many copies of Windows 2008 Standard on this machine as I desire, however how do I activate these versions as once i've used the key a few times I get an error saying the key has already been used.

Thanks for any pointers

Gordon

0 Kudos
5 Replies
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Hi Gordon,

I suggest you check your licensing model with Microsoft, normally a copy of Win2008 Datacenter edition allows for 1 install, regardless of whether the installation is on a physical box or a VM.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
GCopestake
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what difference the licencing model has on my circumstance but for the record the machine is Dual CPU and i have purchased two CPU licences of Datacentre Edition

0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

the unlimited use is for MS VMs not VMware VMs!

Unlimited Virtualization Rights

Windows Server 2008 Datacenter licenses include unlimited virtualization rights, meaning customers have the use rights to run an unlimited number of virtualized instances of Windows Server on processors licensed with Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without purchasing additional licenses. The use rights also allow the choice of running Windows Server 2008 (or previous version) Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter in the virtual instances. In addition to Windows Server and Microsoft Virtual Server, the use rights apply to any virtualization technology or host operating system, although they may need to be acquired, licensed, and supported separately from third-parties.

The unlimited virtualization rights significantly simplify the licensing of Windows Server for large-scale virtualization and make it more affordable for enterprises to consolidate on the Windows Server Platform.

0 Kudos
GCopestake
Contributor
Contributor

Unlimited Virtualization Rights

Windows Server 2008 Datacenter licenses include unlimited virtualization rights, meaning customers have the use rights to run an unlimited number of virtualized instances of Windows Server on processors licensed with Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without purchasing additional licenses. The use rights also allow the choice of running Windows Server 2008 (or previous version) Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter in the virtual instances. In addition to Windows Server and Microsoft Virtual Server, the use rights apply to any virtualization technology or host operating system, although they may need to be acquired, licensed, and supported separately from third-parties.

The unlimited virtualization rights significantly simplify the licensing of Windows Server for large-scale virtualization and make it more affordable for enterprises to consolidate on the Windows Server Platform.

0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Hi

From what i understand the microsoft documentation the unlimited number of virtualized instances refers to VMs within the Windows machine. not various VMs on top of an ESX.

in any case you need to contact Microsoft regarding this issue as it is not an issue related to VMware but a licence issue with Microsoft.

regards

0 Kudos