VMware Cloud Community
skysoft
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 2008 R2 (retail) & RemoteApp (Hyper-v)

Hi All,

We just installed the win2008 r2 version on our ESX 4 system. Installation goes ok, no problems there.

The test system is supposed to be installed with the Remote Desktop Services, and remote app functionality. The server enforces the use of hyper-v for the remote desktops. Pritty silly because we have an virtualisation solution already. The server refuses to install RemoteApp without hyper-v.

So you install Hyper-v i hear you say ?. Woah ! Can't be done. Apparently the esx virtual processor doesn't support VT/. (ok, understand that).

For what i can find, R2 isn't supported (yet), so chances are we just must be patient. But any help would be welcome.

Martijn.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could tell the virtual CPU to lie about its VT-x support:

cpuid.1.ecx="----:----:----:----:----:----:--1-:----"

That may be enough to install Hyper-V. However, Hyper-V certainly isn't going to run, since any VMX instructions executed on the virtual CPU will fault. I don't know if this will get you anywhere.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What if you`ll try WS2k8R2 on physical box and than make P2V?

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could tell the virtual CPU to lie about its VT-x support:

cpuid.1.ecx="----:----:----:----:----:----:--1-:----"

That may be enough to install Hyper-V. However, Hyper-V certainly isn't going to run, since any VMX instructions executed on the virtual CPU will fault. I don't know if this will get you anywhere.

0 Kudos
skysoft
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The tip from jmattson to let esx "lie" about VT support worked ! (thx)

Hyper-v installs pretty normaly.

RemoteApp workes, at least with "calculator". Anything more heavy must still be tested.

nothing else tested, so the "real" vm's under Hyper-V probably doesn't work, but who knows ?

Martijn.

0 Kudos