VMware Cloud Community
k_man
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2008 64-bit Install Issues on ESX 3i 3.5.0 Update 2

Hi,

Trying to install Windows 2008 Server 64-bit on ESX 3i 3.5.0 Update 2 and getting a message from the installer that says "Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU isnot compatible with 64-bit mode." I know the server, HP DL360 G5, is 64 bit capable becuase it was a Window 2008 64-bit test server beforeI loaded I loaded ESX server on it. The VT setting is enabled in the BIOS of the host server.

Thanks in advance,

K

0 Kudos
22 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that you select a 64 bit vmm. Meaning, make sure to select the guest os type of 64-bit windows 2008.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
k_man
Contributor
Contributor

KjB, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have selected Microsoft Window 2008 Server (64 Bit) from the drop down.

K

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

When you set the VT setting in the bios, did you power the system off after the change?

This change requires the system to be powered off for the setting to take.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

VMware Communities User Moderator

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

CIO Virtualization Blog: http://www.cio.com/blog/index/topic/168354

As well as the Virtualization Wiki at http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Virtualization

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
dkpeall
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I'm having the same problem just unpacked a Dell 2950 III installed VMware ESXi 3.5 patch 2 and created a VM. I chose the windows server 2003 (x64) from the drop down but when I try boot from the CD i get the same message:" Attempting to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bin X86 operating system." If i boot directly of the CD there is no problem.

Please if anyone can help I'm getting nowhere fast here.

Thanks Dave

0 Kudos
dkpeall
Contributor
Contributor

Oops had to enable VT in the server BIOS!

0 Kudos
k_man
Contributor
Contributor

> When you set the VT setting in the bios, did you power the system off after the change?

No, I just did a reboot. So I powered the server down, and was very optimistic that would fix it, but unfortunately still have the same issue.

Thanks,

K

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It is possible that (a) your CPU(s) do not support VT, (b) you have mismatched CPUs in an SMP system, or (c) your BIOS is buggy.

Please download this ISO, burn it to a CD, and boot your host from the CD. It will tell you whether or not VT is truly enabled on each core.

k_man
Contributor
Contributor

According to the VT iso all eight cores have VT enabled. Double checked the CPUs and they are the same. My BIOS is slightly out of date and will update it (there is nothing in the release notes about this issues).

The only other thought I had was that ESX was installed when VT was not enabled. Maybe I should re-install?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No, don't reinstall. Please upload a vmware.log file from a VM that fails to power on in 64-bit mode.

0 Kudos
k_man
Contributor
Contributor

It works now. All I did was create a new VM from scratch and it worked fine. So I think what happened was that since I created the original VM without VT enabled it was stuck thinking it was not 64 bit compatible.

The new VM I created after the VT bios setting id going through the setup without any problems.

Big thanks to everyone to helped. Have a great weekend.

K

0 Kudos
Shopko
Contributor
Contributor

I was also having this issue with installing Server 2008 x64 on ESX 3.5, and none of the suggestions here seemed to work... I finally found that enabling the paravirtualization option before the OS is installed causes the Windows installer to fail with the "CPU is not 64-bit" message. Disabling this option for the install worked!

I'd feel really dumb if this was documented in the release notes, but I didn't see it. Smiley Happy I hope this helps anyone else that runs into this problem.

0 Kudos
BDONaki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I had the same problem and unticking the paravirtualisation for the install fixed my issue - luckily I read right until the end of this thread!

So thanks! (I have an HP DL380 G5)

0 Kudos
AxelMX
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou very much i activate the Virtualization option on the Hp Proliant and voila..... It Works

0 Kudos
DMobley232
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I find this Paravirtulization setting

0 Kudos
BDONaki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - edit the Paravirtualisation settings through the Edit the VM settings screen. The VM must be powered off and then go to edit the settings of the VM, and untick the Paravirtualisation support under Options tab. This fixes one part of the issue - the other is in the BIOS under CPU options. (Needs to be enabled)

0 Kudos
DMobley232
Contributor
Contributor

I found the Paravirtualization settings, but did not find the BIOS settings. For the BIOS settings I go to the same place? (Edit Virtual Machine Settings)? Then click on the CPU's option?

0 Kudos
BDONaki
Contributor
Contributor

The BIOS setting to change the CPU options are for the Host hardware. You have to Shutdown the physical host server, and depending on the hardware, press F9/F10 upon first powering on the server to enter the BIOS settings screen. There should be a prompt on screen briefly saying Press F10 to enter settings (or similar). There will be an option for Intel Xeon CPU based servers that you must enable to make this work. Please post hardware make/model info for further help with this.

0 Kudos
eldingo
Contributor
Contributor

hello Jmattson:

I am having the same issue installing the windows server 2008 64 bit on esx 3.5. I tried to download ISO file by clicking on the this ISO link, but it is not working. Would you please provide the proper link to download ISO file to turn on the VT feature on the processor. Thanks!!

0 Kudos