VMware Cloud Community
nicko82
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2003 R2 Std Hangs on Splash Screen with 2vCPU's

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

I have a Windows 2003 R2 Standard template specs are: 1 vCPU, 1536MB Memory, 30GB virtual disk

I deploy a new VM and customise it (sysprep) everything works fine until I modify the number of vCPU to 2vCPU's

I insure that Windows detects and installs the new CPU and ACPI multiprocessor is displayed in device manager under computer.

I can't figure out why it takes so long for the VM to start up, it sits on the splash screen for at least 5 mins, if i drop it backdown to 1vCPU it starts up OK again within a 1 minute.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

How many vms are running on the ESX host this Vm is running on amd what type of host is it? It might be an issue with scheduling the 2 vcpus -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
nicko82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I thought that might be the problem, however today, I checked this one particular VM and the host it was sitting on had 13 VM's, total vCPU count on host for all VM's including this one is 17 vCPU's

With 8 physical cores in the host that about 2 vCPU per core, however I have seen this strange behavior on host scheduling less vCPU's

All 3 hosts are IBM HS21XM 2x 3.0GHz QaudCore (Intel Xeon E5450) Procs and 32GB Memory.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The problem may still be from the HAL in this case. I would try to go into device manager, and try to set the HAL back to uni, and then restart, and then go back and change to multi again.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos