VMware Cloud Community
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 2003 Print Server

I plan on migrating our print server that currently supports 200 printers to a VM and just wanted to know what experience folks have had either good or bad? Found a couple references, but wanted to get an updated look @ what your folks might be doing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dollar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a total of 6 Virtual Machine Print Servers (Windows 2003 Server., SP2) running thousands of remote printers (with the printers on the other ends of the WAN). No problems. Each Print Server has 1024MB memory and 1 CPU.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Stood up a Windows 2003 Print Server at my second job on ESX 3.5.

120 printers, servicing 1500 users.

No issues.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
Dollar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a total of 6 Virtual Machine Print Servers (Windows 2003 Server., SP2) running thousands of remote printers (with the printers on the other ends of the WAN). No problems. Each Print Server has 1024MB memory and 1 CPU.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We piloted a print cluster servicing a building with a couple hundred users and lots of printers. I'm not sure of the count right now, but it went really well. We will be updating print services in the remaining buildings shortly with virtual servers.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
duhaas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for the great response, makes me feel better about the migration.

0 Kudos