VMware Cloud Community
leonardti
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2003 64/bit standard memory dumps seems to be related to the NIC

one of our 64 bit vmware clients running on ESC 3.0.1 host patched Jan 2008 blue screened, after looking at the dump it seems to point to the NIC driver. From V.I console server used E1000 and from in the virtual machine the driver is e1G5132e.sys. I have open a ticket with support as well but was wondering if anyone else had seen this and come up with a work around?

thanks

Tim

from the dump.

PEB is paged out (Peb.Ldr = 000007ff`fffdf018). Type ".hh dbgerr001" for details

PEB is paged out (Peb.Ldr = 000007ff`fffdf018). Type ".hh dbgerr001" for details

Probably caused by : e1G5132e.sys ( e1G5132e!E1000HandleInterrupt+fc )

0 Kudos
21 Replies
leonardti
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft seems to have found the fix information listed below.

Tim

I am the Microsoft engineer that worked with you on this case today. The issue is that you have STOP Bluescreens occurring on a Windows Server 2003 X64 SP1 as VMWare ESX guest OS on IBM server. The dump file that we looked at included the following information:

BugCheck D1, {1a, 2, 1, fffffadf3d7f5230}

Probably caused by : e1G5132e.sys ( e1G5132e!E1000HandleInterrupt+fc )

This is an issue that we are aware of which has to do with a problem between VMWare components and a Microsoft update that is installed on your server. if KB 932596 is installed, this problem will happen and this is indeed installed on this server. The following file was installed:

ntkrnlmp.exe Thu Mar 22 04:52:39 2007

You can find more information about this update from the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=932596

The recommendation at this time is to uninstall this update to resolve this issue. It was noted that VMWare has documentation on this problem as bug 220233 in case you would like to discuss this issue with them.

Additionally, once this update is uninstalled, it is recommended that you install the following update to resolve other known VMWare issues on Windows Server 2003 X64 Service Pack 1 machines:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=910048

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

What does Microsoft and Vmware say, if windows 2003 64bit sp2 is used?

0 Kudos
akanaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are experiencing the same problem. We have four VMs running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 64-bit with SP2. Three of them are multi-processor and all experiencing the blue screens. I upgraded the fourth to multi-processor and within several days it started having the same problem as the rest. I contacted Microsoft and VMware. Basically the same response - uninstall Microsoft Patch 932596 until VMware releases a patch.

I was also told this is only happening on AMD processor based ESX hosts. VMware stated they have not seen it happen on Intel.

I have uninstalled the patch on two servers and am waiting to see if the symptom is resolved.

0 Kudos
veggy
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm currently running on AMD cpus and have had this problem on my Windows 2003 x64 SP2 based servers.

After i upgraded the e1G5132e.sys driver, I have yet to seen this problem.

I am currently running the an intel signed driver v8.7.9.0

regards,

Vegard Sagbakken

Økonomihuset IT-Nett AS

0 Kudos
leonardti
Contributor
Contributor

e1G5132e.sys this driver did you installed this on the ESX host or in the VM itself?

0 Kudos
veggy
Contributor
Contributor

This is a Windows driver that is installed in the VM.

V.

0 Kudos
KlinglerK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

and how can i remove the KB#932956??

Best regards

Klaus-Peter

0 Kudos
veggy
Contributor
Contributor

You cant if your running SP2.

-Vegard

0 Kudos
KlinglerK
Contributor
Contributor

but i did it..... :smileyangry:

can i afterwards repair it ???

Klaus-Peter

0 Kudos
veggy
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, i was confusing it with another patch.

I think you should be able to download it and reinstall it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7C627ACF-F0ED-4102-B434-0324139A80EA&displa...

- vegard

0 Kudos
KlinglerK
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry i meant KB#932596

Klaus-Peter

0 Kudos
akanaka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have uninstalled the Microsoft patch (932596) from 3 of the 4 systems that were failing and the unexpected reboots have been solved. Microsoft stated that even though you receive a warning when uninstalling the patch that a bunch of components no longer will work, that nothing has to be reinstalled. However, on one of the VMs we had to reinstall the VMware tools. So far this seems like a good solution.

Microsoft also released a hotfix for this (sp3 Fix227508 or KB950772). I have downloaded and extracted the patch but I have not tested it yet. You can only obtain this fix by directly contacting Microsoft. As always, Microsoft has not fully regression tested this fix.

0 Kudos
KlinglerK
Contributor
Contributor

I've uninstalled the patch on 3 servers. Nothing has been happened since now. Can you send me the link to download the MS-patch, please?

Thx & best regards

Klaus-Peter

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You have to request this patch from microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B950772&x=8&y=11

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
KlinglerK
Contributor
Contributor

Big Thanks..

one last question: is my OS repaired, if i install the patch KB950772???

Klaus-Peter

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I´m not sure what you´re meaning with "is my OS reparied..." but we don´t have any issues since we´ve installed the MS Patch!

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
KlinglerK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

it meant Operating System....

thx for the fast answer

Klaus-Peter

0 Kudos
veggy
Contributor
Contributor

Jeg er fortiden ferie. Jeg er tilbake mandag 14. juli.

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know what OS means but I´m not sure what you ment with this sentence... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos