VMware Cloud Community
Createch
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2003 64-bit and Symantec Ghost

Hello,

We created a Win2K3 64-bit VM on our ESX3.01 server. We have been trying to Ghost this machine using Ghost 7.5. I know that ESX creates an Intel e1000 NIC for this machine but I have not been successful at getting the VM to obtain an IP from our DHCP server. Please note that I am able to Ghost all other VMs that use the AMDPCNET NIC (such as Win2K3 32-bit, Vista, XP, etc) but those using the e1000 will not work. My bootdisc is using version 5.02 of the e1000 drivers from Intel. The boot works fine and says that the driver loads correctly. When Ghost starts the GhostCast option is enabled and I select the MultiCast option. Ghost then displays the message "Initializing packet driver and IP address..." but after a few seconds I get an error 19913 that says "Can't find DHCP server". I have also set the NIC speed and duplex to 100mbit full duplex by adding the line speedduplex = 3 in the \[tcpip] section of the protocol.ini file but I get the same error. Does anyone know what to do? Maybe there is a different driver that I should be using but I have not found one.

TIA.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Createch
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I meant that I created the speedduplex entry in the \[nic] section of protocol.ini.

0 Kudos
Jeff1
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem except I am trying to bring down an altiris image. The E1000 driver loads but is unable to connect to the network. No DHCP and no connectivity if I use a static address.

I have tried every link speed / duplex combo with no luck.

So far I tried an old E1000 driver (not sure of date) as well as the newest Intel E1000 driver dated 01/30/2007. There isn't much of a selection of E1000 drivers as they are fairly general. (unless I start testing OEMs)

I think it's about time for me to test VM's BCS support. I will let you know if i find anything out regarding this matter.

0 Kudos
uvrex13
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

sorry for my english....

I have the same problem with VMware server 2.0 and ghost for Windows 2003 64 bit, but i have a solution:

- copy (or save) the file xxxx.vmx locate in your VM directory,

- edit the original file xxxx.vmx and remove all the line (2 if you have 2 ethernet interface) which contain ....ethernet....= "e1000" and save modification,

- use your "old" boot CD ghost with AMDPCNET NIC (as Win2K3 32-bit),

- create the ghost image (it can be very slow),

- before power on the VM, restore the original file (with the line"e1000"),

I hope you understand my english, good luck

U13

0 Kudos