VMware Cloud Community
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 2000 Server to 2003 Server VM upgrade BSOD

I have been trying to upgrade an existing Windows 2000 Server VM to Windows 2003 Server, and keep getting a BSOD when Windows 2003 Server boots, specifically when it switches to graphical mode (when it would normally throw up the login dialog). This VM runs perfectly fine as Windows 2000 Server and we haven't had any issue with it. I have done the usual things like disabling all non-essential services and there aren't any weird devices on the VM. I can start the Windows 2003 Server upgraded VM in Safe Mode. The setuperr.log complains about not being able to register an OLE control, sxs.dll, but I doubt that's the issue, and there are no clues in the event logs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks.

PJ.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What is the virtual SCSI card of your VM - LSI or BusLogic? - If it is Buslogic change it to LSI -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
citpaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Controller was Bus Logic. I powered down VM, changed to LSI and it's still doing the BSOD looping reboot thing. I then performed a Windows repair thinking that might help but to no avail ... still doing the BSOD looping reboot thing . Any other ideas?

PJ.

0 Kudos