VMware Cloud Community
jaxindevon
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2000 Server - Customization does not join the domain

I know this has been posted a number of times and I've been using some of the advise to try and resolve my issue.  Sadly I am not progressing much.

I have a Windows 2000 server which will not join the domain during customization.  I have updated the finalizationsetup.bat file as advised in the KB  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200750....  The ping is successful showing the network card to be functioning correctly.  I've increased the ping count to 100 but still no joy.

I've also looked at some articles around the version of guestcustutil.exe but none of the versions here appear relevant (or the file size).

I've setup a DHCP server just in case and the guest is allocated an IP address during the customization phase.  Looking at the logs though the static IP address is allocated successfully and it's after this point that the join domain command ocurrs.

Has anyone any suggestions on other areas to look at?

Thanks

Jax

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Check if there is a "C:\sysprep\i386\oem" folder. If so, delete it.

Change the username for the domain join in the customization template from "<username>" to "<username@domain fqdn>".

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
jaxindevon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've tried changing the login details to  user@domain.xxx but I get the following error

Joining domain XXX using account user@domain.xxx and password '****'

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

Which computer am  I looking for the c:\sysprep\i386\oem directory?  I can't find one in the template, vcentre or the recently customised guest.

I've also been trying different OS versions/templates and Windows 2003 is having the same issue.

Any further suggestions welcome.

I'll continue to investigate in the mean time.

Thanks

Jax

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Can you convert the template to a guest, do a snapshot (to revert it after testing), run it and join it to the domain manually? The message that the domain could not be found may point to a network or DNS problem.

You should find the folder, ifr it exist in the template or the guest deployed from the template repectively.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
jaxindevon
Contributor
Contributor

The network settings are applied during the customisation e.g. DNS server, Default Gateway, etc.  I have also setup a DHCP server to pickup these settings so the guest will get an IP address even before this part of the customisation.

I'll give it a go anyway.

I know that when I log into the guest I don't have to change anything and I can join the domain no problem.

I've just tried a different template, a Windows 2008 R2 and this joins the domain ok.

I might look at building a new Windows 2003 template and see what happens with this.

Can't find any sysprep files on the guest or the template.

Thanks for you help so far.

Jax

0 Kudos