VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Windows 2000 CPU

A Windows 2000 server, converted from physical to virtual and hosted by an ESXi 5.0 host member of a vSphere 5.0 infrastructure, reports CPU usage up to 95% during peak hours, while during the rest of the day the CPU usage is very limited.

The guest is configured with 2 (vitrtual) CPU and the CPU priority is High.

What is the best strategy to mitigate che problem without impacting on the hosted, legacy applications and minimizing the impact on other guest VMs?

• Add vCPU or cores?
  • Reserve CPU resources?
  • What else?

Happy new year!

marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is this CPU usage expected or does it occur without a valid reason, i.e. have the hardware related drivers and services been removed after the P2V conversion? Does the guest OS have the correct HAL configured?

I wouldn't change any priotities and/or reservations, but rather - depending on the host's resources - add additional vCPUs or cores.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is this CPU usage expected or does it occur without a valid reason, i.e. have the hardware related drivers and services been removed after the P2V conversion? Does the guest OS have the correct HAL configured?

I wouldn't change any priotities and/or reservations, but rather - depending on the host's resources - add additional vCPUs or cores.

André

0 Kudos