VMware Cloud Community
rlb1961
Contributor
Contributor

WinXP guest hangs host

Hopefully someone has sen this before. I have a Windows XP guest that I am trying to run. This was converted from a physical system using the Converter 3.03. The guest boots succesfully, but then it begins using all of the disk IO. The host system stops responding to any imput from the mouse or keyboard and just hangs. I have to reboot the host to regain control. I can run other guest systems just fine - Linux, Vista, even other XP systems that I install from scratch.

Host system: Hp xw4400, 2 GB RAM, dual core processor, Ubuntu 9.04 (64-bit)

Guest System: Windowx SP SP 3, 2 processors, 1 GB RAM

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DLeid
Expert
Expert

You may have converted something it doesn't like.

Check your devices on that converted WinXP guest. Try to keep it lean with just 1 CPU, Memory, CD/DVD drive, Hard Disk drive, Floppy and NIC

Compare with your other WinXP guests. see if their is a difference.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
noahhomsky
Contributor
Contributor

Later I solve exactly same problem with XP guest in ESXi (here is the article but it in russian). If you use BusLogic controller for disks in guest - kill it. You need use LSI Logic virtual controller. Driver for LSI Logic LSI20320‐R SCSI adapter is here. Just use nLite to integrate it in distributive. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos