VMware Cloud Community
dwardo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will i be able to run VMware Workstation on Win 2008 Web edition?

Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if this question has been answered before but i an struggling to find the right search location and forum.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The host is currently a windows 2003 server with vmware worksation installed...We have a...hp server going spare...

TO clarify, you're going to move VMware Workstation to a different host?

These are for development only aswell as a domain controller to run various bits n bobs in the dev environment.

If the host is still going to be for dev, and you don't mind being in a bit of unsupported territory, then go ahead and try.  Download Workstation trial and see what happens.  Like I said, AFAIK, Web Edition may be missing a few things like some of the admin tools or server roles.  But that probably won't e an issue for hosting virtual machines.

If there are known problems with VMware workstatsion and 2008 web then we would have to look at an OS change.

Beyond the legal bits about not using Web Edition for anything other than web hosting, I'd guess that youd be ok.  What is your shop's attitude toward Linux?  Or the current server's Windows 2003 license, can it be transfered to the HP server?  (e.g. non-OEM license or volume license.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

according to the HCL, no

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Partner Name OS Release Bits OS Use Supported Releases
MicrosoftWindows Server 2003  Service Pack 1 Web Edition32Guest OSWS 6.5.3, WS 6.5.2, WS 6.5.1, WS 6.5, WS 6.0.5, WS 6.0.4, WS 6.0.3, WS 6.0.2, WS 6.0.1, WS 6.0
MicrosoftWindows Server 2003  Service Pack 1 Web Edition32Host OSWS 7.1.3, WS 7.1.2, WS 7.1.1, WS 7.1, WS 7.0.1, WS 7.0, WS 6.5.3, WS 6.5.2, WS 6.5.1, WS 6.5, WS 6.0.5, WS 6.0.4, WS 6.0.3, WS 6.0.2, WS 6.0.1, WS 6.0
MicrosoftWindows Server 2003  Service Pack 2 Web Edition32Host OSWS 6.5
MicrosoftWindows Server 2003  Web Edition32Guest OSWS 6.5.3, WS 6.5.2, WS 6.5.1, WS 6.5, WS 6.0.5, WS 6.0.4, WS 6.0.3, WS 6.0.2, WS 6.0.1, WS 6.0
MicrosoftWindows Server 2003  Web Edition32Host OSWS 7.1.3, WS 7.1.2, WS 7.1.1, WS 7.1, WS 7.0.1, WS 7.0, WS 6.5.3, WS 6.5.2, WS 6.5.1, WS 6.5, WS 6.0.5, WS 6.0.4, WS 6.0.3, WS 6.0.2, WS 6.0.1, WS 6.0
0 Kudos
dwardo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah so it only supports 2008 R2 Standard?

I have had a look through the link you kindly provided but i dont see any options for any of the web editions.

Sorry about this, its just a lot of work upgrading if it wont support my existing VM`s thanks again.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is Win2k8 Web Edition your host OS or guest OS?  (You use the word "on" which infers that Workstation is being installed "onto" a Web Edition physical host OS.  And your second post continues to infer that you're looking for documentation that Web Edition is a supported host OS.)

Web Edition is basically a restricted version of Windows Server and will work fine as a guest.  Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (non-R2) had an artifical limit of 2GB of RAM from Microsoft, which was dropped in later versions of Web Edition.  I'm guessing this is probably why there is a specific selection for 2003 Web Edition for guest OS, but no specific guest OS selection for later versions of Web Edition.

If Web Edition is your host OS, then realize that Microsoft license restricts you to only use Web Edition as a web server and not for other application hosting.  I have installed applications onto 2003 Web Edition and AFAIK, most applications will install, although I have never tried the 2008 version.  But it would appear from Microsoft that you'd be in unsupported territory anyway, regardless of whether VMware supports Web Edition as a host OS.  I believe it would work fine, but if you're worried about official support, then use Web Edition only as a guest and not a host for virtual machines.

0 Kudos
dwardo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very new to this so thanks for taking the time to post.

The host is currently a windows 2003 server with vmware worksation installed running a couple of windows VM`s.

These are for development only aswell as a domain controller to run various bits n bobs in the dev environment.

We have a 2008 web edt 64 bit hp server going spare and were wondering if we could install VM workstation, copy over our existing VM`s and take advantage of the increase memory limits and processing power?

If there are known problems with VMware workstatsion and 2008 web then we would have to look at an OS change.

Again i appreciate the input from both posters.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The host is currently a windows 2003 server with vmware worksation installed...We have a...hp server going spare...

TO clarify, you're going to move VMware Workstation to a different host?

If the host is still going to be for dev, and you don't mind being in a bit of unsupported territory, then go ahead and try.  Download Workstation trial and see what happens.  Like I said, AFAIK, Web Edition may be missing a few things like some of the admin tools or server roles.  But that probably won't e an issue for hosting virtual machines.

Beyond the legal bits about not using Web Edition for anything other than web hosting, I'd guess that youd be ok.  What is your shop's attitude toward Linux?  Or the current server's Windows 2003 license, can it be transfered to the HP server?  (e.g. non-OEM license or volume license.)

0 Kudos