VMware Cloud Community
InaVirtualDaze
Contributor
Contributor

Why Does guest OS Internet connection freeze computer

4. 05-Jan-2011 20:12                                      in response to:                                     a.p.

Re:  After Vista is installed, every time I switch the internet connection  to the guest OS, my comp...

The  situation is this. I have a cable connection. All 4 computers in the  house use Wi-Fi to communicate with the modem. None of the computers has  a problem connecting to the internet. My computer operates on Win 7 and  works perfectly when connected to the internet. When I Click on the VM  icon my VM home page opens. I then open a guest OS. It makes no  difference what OS. Currently I have , DOS5, XP, Vista Ultimate, Win 7  Utimate,(upgraded from the Vista original) Win 7 Ultimate Clean install.  I power on any Guest OS I place my mouse over the icon indicating my  internet connection. A note balloon appears saying " connect" (  disconnect from Host) as soon as I click to disconnect from Host, Both  OS's (Host and Guest) are frozen. So I cannot verify my OS  authentication Product with Microsoft. Cosequently I can't use any OS  because the OS is not verified within the time frame allowed to be  registered with Microsoft.

Has  anybody else struck this problem and if so how do you rectify it. I've  installed all the correct drivers for the internet modem  connection on  the guest OS identical to the Host OS. So why is it incompatible on all  Guest OS's. I normally don't have to adjust any thing on my internet  connection, so words like DHCP settings etc. are meaningless to me.

I am using VMWare Workstation V6.5.3 and also the latest VM tools. I am not a computer geek, just trying to learn how to do things using Virtual systems. But without the internet, it's useless.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm confused why you are being asked to authenticate with Microsoft after you have validated once.

I have many different versions of Windows I have activated and since taken off the internet, none of them harass me for MS Genuine Validation...

You sure you have legit copies of these OS's?

Those are a lot of versions of Windows you listed for a casual user to purchase...

Regarding your network issue, it almost sounds like NAT isn't working correctly through VMware workstation, the VMs and your host pc.

Not too familiar with workstation but if its like VMware server its actually doing a NAT translation from the VM's internal IP to whatever your host is configured as.

This sounds like an issue with DHCP/NAT and your configuration. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the VM's themselves.

0 Kudos