VMware Cloud Community
gusnole9399
Contributor
Contributor

When cloning a vm how do you select specific drives to clone only

Instead of getting the entire vm's set of virtual disks.

I have a vm that has a primary vmdk of 20GB, but has 10 additional virtual disks adding up to a lot of space, I want to be able to clone only the vm's primary drive and one of the other drives but not the rest. I tried the "Edit VM Hardware(Experimental)" option and removed the virtual disks I didn't want and when I hit OK to clone it still ends up cloning all of the drives.

Am I missing something, there has to be a way to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

cloning is probably not your best option. You should consider using VMware Converter to do a V2V. This way you can choose what drives you want to bring and what drives you don't want to bring. Plus, it will give you the option to resize if you wish.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Troy is the man with plan. He is correct, it would be easier with VM Converter...

0 Kudos
Mohammad1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Its good to use the VMware converter in this case, however if you need another method, Please follow the below instructions

Use " vmkfstools -i " to clone the primary virtual disk and the one that you want

This process needs cloning of the disks one at a time or you can open two ssh sesions to do it simultaneously.

once the clone process is completed then, create a new VM and point the cloned disks to the VM and power it on.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Mohammad Wasim
0 Kudos
gusnole9399
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to go with the Converter, seems to be the easiest method.

Kind of wish VM would build some of the nice functions of the Converter directly into the Cloning process in vCenter.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Converter the easiest procedure ? - how so ?

the vmfstools -i does exactly what you want and you do not need to cross fingers

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos