VMware Cloud Community
sam_phillips
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WSUS doesnt work with VMs Vms dont show in wsus!

Hi,

None of my VMs are showing up in WSUS 3.0...... Any ideas why? Do I need to open port 80?

Its working fine for physical boxes using the same Group Policy Settings...

Cheers,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We've had this problem as well. Here's the batch file I run on all of my windows VMs when building from a template:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v PingID /f

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f

cls

@echo Triggering detection after resetting WSUS client identity

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume that pinging and other communication issues are working, aren't they?

For XP and W2K3 run "gpupdate / force" and look in the Application Event Log for error messages regarding "UserInit" or "SceCli". You should have an entry there that tells you that the GPO could be applied.

For W2K run "secedit /update machinepolicy or userpolicy"

In the GPO itself the WSUS server is configured with a port.The default is 80 and under normal circumstances you only have to open it on the guest if the firewall blocks outgoing traffic. But, in general you have to allow the guest to use this port.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have this working in my enviroment without any problems, and did not need to make any additional changes. Can you get to your windows update page manually from one of your virtual machines?

arkturas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look at the windows update log file, it should exist under windows root usually c:\windows\windowsupdate.txt

are there any error messages? you can force the guest to query your wsus server by running the following command from the start menu: wuauclt.exe /force

0 Kudos
langonej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If this forum software was better you'd have had your answer 15 minutes ago. But I digress...

I'd be willing to bet this is your problem:

Your VM template that all of these VMs were deployed from probably doesn't run a post-deployment script to clean up the WSUS settings.

I bet if you delete this \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\SusClientId and reboot the value will be different and the client will show in the WSUS console.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
ezed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

when we have had issues with wsus and vm guest it has always been due to duplicate sids.

0 Kudos
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We've had this problem as well. Here's the batch file I run on all of my windows VMs when building from a template:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v PingID /f

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f

cls

@echo Triggering detection after resetting WSUS client identity

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

0 Kudos
shripad_khursal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this will solve the problem.

if you have deploy all the Guset OS with Templates, and if you have not run the sysprep , you will see this problem.

0 Kudos