VMware Cloud Community
jwest1
Contributor
Contributor

VtoP: Creating an sysprep image of a 64-bit W2K3 server using HP Altiris or Ghost

Does anyone have any recommendation on how best to create an image of my Windows 2K3 64-bit vm using a 3rd party imaging tool? I am having trouble connecting to the our non-full blown HP Altiris or Ghost Server to capture the disk image. Does anyone have recommendations? I have booted into a WinPE boot iso and have the Ghost32 dos client loaded. The VM NIC is not grabbing a DHCP lease though, but the NIC card is being properly identified as an Intel 1000/Pro NIC. I have sysprepped the vm using the 64 bit version.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

You can attach a USB drive and dump the image using ghost but it'll be slow because ghost only has usb 1.1 drivers. if you create a bartpe disk, or put ghost in winpe you can load usb 2.0 drives and then dump the image quicker.

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
jwest1
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, good to know. Thanks.

We eventually were able to insert the vmnic drivers into the WinPE image and capture an image using imagex up to a network share. We'll see how a WIM image compares to Ghost. Ghost may be a better route since it does a sector by sector copy. I am not sure how imagex goes about its captures but from the limited about of MS blurbs and docs I've read on it - it only seems to capture Windows images. Could be wrong here though...

0 Kudos
jitendrakmr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If its a VM then why are you taking disk images using ghost? You can export vmdk files using vmkfstools command Or you can also create a clone of vm and can keep it.

If you are looking for virtual to physical migration then Platespin PowerConvert is the best tool to use.

Jitendra Kumar

MCSE 2003, VCP, CCNA, ITIL Foundation

VCP, MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Admin, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, Netapp NS0-153 (Storage Networking) Personal Website - http://www.virtualizationtrainings.com, http://www.hillsindia.com
0 Kudos
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

imagex does a file-base copy

have you tried using vmware convertor to capture you machines? i've had great success using it for live migrations into a virtual machine. it also has a boot disk that could be used.

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos