VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Vmware tools versions

I just noticed something strange about my guests. All ESX hosts are 3.5 update1 version 98103.

One one server a Windows 2003 guest is running version 82663 and Virtual Center reports that the tools version is OK.

XP guests are running 95350 and Virtual Center says they are out of date.

I took a look at another host which has an XP guest that is running 93530 but VMware tools are OK on that host.

Windows servers are 82663 and are OK?

Any ideas as to what the actual versions should be and why one host thinks the version is current and another doesn't.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

maybe something went wrong when updating VMware tools on that specific host.

did you try uninstalling VMware Tools on that specific host , reboot it and try installing VMware Tools again ?

Windows servers are 82663 and are OK? we use ESX 3.5 Update 1 and our windows 2003 servers have also version 82663.. so thats okay.

Probably another version VMware tools has been used with Windows XP.. i will check the version of that in our environment and post the results

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you mean guests? There are 3 XP guests, all have the same version and all are reported as out of date.

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the ones with out of date can you upgrade vmware tools on them ?

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can but it doesn't change the version number.

I wonder why this version is considered current by my other hosts?

I don't remember are the vmware tools version supposed to match the host build number?

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

yes when you upgrade the esx host and a vm on it will upgrade vmware tools it will use the release of vmware tools from that esx host.

0 Kudos
dmaster
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi pdrace,

I checked the version of VMware Tools on our XP clients.. have also version 82663

so you have managed to install a newer version of vmware tools on your virtual machine probably from a esx host with a higher patch level than default ESX 3.5 Update 1.

So to fix this you have to completely uninstall vmware tools from your XP guests, reboot the virtual machine and install vmware tools again. make sure your ESX host is from a proper patch level.

pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi pdrace,

>I checked the version of VMware Tools on our XP clients.. have also version 82663

>so you have managed to install a newer version of vmware tools on your virtual machine probably from a esx host with a higher patch level than default ESX 3.5 Update 1

All my hosts are at the same patch and build level. Other hosts report that the higher build on XP is ok, Windows servers have build 82663 and thy are considered to be up to date by other hosts,

>So to fix this you have to completely uninstall vmware tools from your XP guests, reboot the virtual machine and install vmware tools again. make sure your ESX host is >from a proper patch level.

Thanks for the attempt to help. I'm going to open an SR.

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

Did you resolve this issue?

I have just updated to Update 2 and noticed my XP machines are reporting out of date in Virtual Center but looking at the version installed in Windows Add/Remove programs, it reports the same version as the servers which are saying OK.

0 Kudos