VMware Cloud Community
jrvinsky72
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware tools uninstallling

Anyone have any suggestions as far as vmware tools uninstalling. We have a client running Vcenter 7.0.3 and vmware tools v 11360, and the tools keeps uninstalling every wek or so. Get a notice that it is down, log into vcenter and notice that tools is not installed and thus, has no NIC divers/network, reinstall tools, and everything is good once again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which guest OS?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jrvinsky72
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2019

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should be along to move your thread to a more appropriate area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
10rnato
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can download the last version (v. 11365 ) and try again. Please be sure that your GuestOS have the last version of Visual C++ too.

For a 64-bit Windows guest, the prerequisite versions are Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86) version 14.28.29913.0 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) version 14.28.29913.0.

You can refer to this Microsoft link.

Sometimes, the Windows Update overlap the installation of VMTools. You can check this KB too:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/83949

For the Release Notes of VMTools v. 11.3.5 check this link.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

This can heppen if a tools upgrade failed.

Is someone triggering VMware tools everyweek or so ? Or there might be a API/script triggered to remove tools outside VMware. 

Is the below option checked?  Untick if not needed. Windows Updates and VMware Tools upgrade running at same time can have issues for sure.

Ajay1988_0-1638241341342.png

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos