VMware Cloud Community
frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware Tools

Hello,

I've the same problem.
The the guest OS is a Win server 2022 Dtc on ESXi 6.5 (VM version 13)
When i clic on the lighting notification, to install vmware tools , a popup message invite to mount the disc image one the virtual CD.

On the VMRC> CD/DVD1 >the iso is mounted as []/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso

But on the guest OS, no removable disc appear in file explorer, with the @MikeWI error message https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/WMWare-Tools-Installation/m-p/2300570

How to resolve this please.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

None of them worked. The updates are not done
2 (1 gui and 1 core) are on the same host and offer the update.

The other 2 are on another host and on this one they appear as updated to version 11329 as if the new version was not present.
How to be sure the new version is present and ready to apply?

Thanks again for your help

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Please check on both host under configure-> packages which tools version is installed

stadi13_0-1670347502350.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Which VMware Tools version do you have installed on the ESXi 6.5? Not all VMware tools are supported for Windows Server 2022. I recommend update the VMware tools with an async release to 12.1.0.

For guidance how to: https://stnvblog.com/index.php/2022/09/09/cve-2022-31676/

frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply,

At the moment we have : Running, version:11329 (Current) 

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Your tool version does not support Server 2022 -> https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/11.3/rn/VMware-Tools-1135-Release-Notes.html#guestop

With version 12.1.0 as recommend Server 2022 are supported -> https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/12.1/rn/VMware-Tools-1210-Release-Notes.html#guestop

Please try and let us know. Async VMware tool upgrade on host does not require a host reboot!

0 Kudos
frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,
I followed the download and upload procedure through the vcenter then created the baseline then transferred to the Esxi. Thanks

Finally I chose the vms to patch at the next boot. Those (2x Win 2022 in GUI and 2x in Core2022)
The cores had been installed manually in setup64.exe by shared directory with the version 11.2.1.17243207 vmware-tools

One of the 2 report an upgrade available not the other (1 GUI and 1 Core).. Why ? And 2 others report as up to date.

After reboot they do not update. (By selecting automatic update enabled). Why ?

The next try is to "upgrade to match host" on these update enabled hosts

Translated with DeepL

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are those VMs who does not update on the same host? Where are the two VMs which worked?

0 Kudos
frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

None of them worked. The updates are not done
2 (1 gui and 1 core) are on the same host and offer the update.

The other 2 are on another host and on this one they appear as updated to version 11329 as if the new version was not present.
How to be sure the new version is present and ready to apply?

Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Please check on both host under configure-> packages which tools version is installed

stadi13_0-1670347502350.png

0 Kudos
frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VMs with the update banner are on a host whose light tools are of the old version despite the procedure.

frtim_3-1670512519222.png

The 2 others are on a host where the package does not exist.

frtim_2-1670512432609.png

Then,

I resumed the procedure by moving all the VMs and putting the host in maintenance mode
To see...

0 Kudos
frtim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The update failure was due to a problem with the unrecognized sd card.
After reboot of the host it was possible to launch the baselines update.

But when the sd card bugged the maintenance mode and moving VMs failed as well as the package processing.
The card is supposed to collect the patches.

For the 2nd host the support had to move the vmtools in Ram by command line. 

0 Kudos