VMware Cloud Community
Shanuvashd
Contributor
Contributor

Virutal Machine IDs

I need answar and clarification on these vmware terms

1.What is Virtual Machine ID ?

2. Is there a difference between Virtual Machine ID and Virtual Machine World ID?

3.What is Virtual machine UUID?

4.What are the commands to find all these IDs in esx4 or esxi4 ?

Can some one please help?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

1.What is Virtual Machine ID ?

Someone may correct me but I believe that a vm's ID is it's mac address

2. Is there a difference between Virtual Machine ID and Virtual Machine World ID?

Do you mean ID or PID? The vm world PID is it's process ID - number on the host

3.What is Virtual machine UUID?

Universal Unique ID - ensures that the ID is unique in your enviroment - You can find this from vSphere client, click on your host/cluster -> virtual machine tab -> right click on the column headers and tick UUID

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
Shanuvashd
Contributor
Contributor

This is my question. Now i have run 3 commands on my ESXi 4 server to find the VMID or VM world ID (I beleive both are same,correct if i am wrong) of aVM called Internet Desktop.Now can some one explain me the VM IDs in each command and let me know which is exact what?

/vmfs/volumes # vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

Vmid Name File Guest OS Version Annotation

1872 Internet Desktop Internet Desktop/Internet Desktop.vmx winNetEnterpriseGuest vmx-07

/vmfs/volumes # vm-support -x

VMware ESX Support Script 1.30

Available worlds to debug:

vmid=934101 Internet Desktop

vmid=8475 ftp

vmid=20364 IPCOP DHCP Server

/vmfs/volumes # ps ge | grep Internet

934101 vmm0:Internet_Desktop

934102 vmm1:Internet_Desktop

934103 934099 mks:Internet Desktop /bin/vmx

930009 934099 vcpu-0:Internet Desktop /bin/vmx

934106 934099 vcpu-1:Internet Desktop /bin/vmx

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

Not really sure whats the exact difference between these ID's. Below is the understanding what i've

- vim-cmd is the virtual infrastructure meta shell. Advantage of it is we dont need to restart the MGMT service. We can do all the management tasks using it.

- vmworld ID is the ID by which the ESX determines the VM. We can kill the VM process using the below command(incase if it is hung)

vm-support -X <vmid>

- using ps command we can find he process ID of the VM. if we have 4 CPU's for a VM, we will have individual PID for those.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos