VMware Cloud Community
TraceIRC
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualizing Linux (unneeded services)

hey all,

i'm currently trying to virtualize a new RHEL 5.3 server that will be running WAS 7. Right now i'm trying to streamline the server by remove as many unneed services as i can. and i want to get some advices on some services that i can disable. two of the ones i have questions about are the ACPI-Daemon and the HAL Daemon. what are the net effect of disabling these services. are there any other services that i can disable that are not need in a VM? any additional suggestion are also helpful. i use SMB so i do want to maintain that funtion.

also I currently use NXserver for remote desktop, but i was wondering if thier was anyway to allow a GUI remote desktop but keep the console without a GUI to save some extra resourse, you know make the GUI more on demand.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

As for the services I don't think ACPI is needed but I would leave the HAL service.

As for the GUI you could have X not start automaticlly but still have it installed and enabled for remote users, so essentially it would start when they connected via vnc or another remote software

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
TraceIRC
Contributor
Contributor

is there any reason? the HAL daemon seamed to be geared more for enabling USB or hot plug and play devices. so i'm not sure hence why i'm asking. Disabling the ACPI shouldn't cause any issue with the VMtools working would it?

0 Kudos