VMware Cloud Community
vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualization Technology

Does anyone have IBM xSeries 366 working with x64 VMs? I am unable to find Virtualization Technology feature anywhere in BIOS.

When I buld th new VM x64 Windows 2008 it gives an error message that 64 bit is not supported.

No luck with IBM support.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Check your BIOS version. You may need an updated flash image to give you ability to update VT settings in processors that support it.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which processors are in your 366? We have some x346's with xeons in them and they aren't supported for 64bit either. Upgrading the BIOS might help but my guess is the hardware isn't comparable with running 64bit VM's

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

is there 64bit ESX host available?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Not yet. . .

Khughes brought up a good point, check your processors and make sure processors are 64-bit/vt capable, as well as verify your BIOS is up to date.

-KjB

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

like kjb said, there is no 64bit ESX yet, I'm sure it'll come out down the road, but until then in order to run 64bit VM's you need the right type of processors that can handle 64bit instruction sets. The new dual-core/quad-cores almost all have that capability. Most of the older Xeons like the ones in our x346's and my assumption in your x366's do not have the capability to process those 64bit sets.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I am pretty certain that the x336 does not support VT extensions,

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

above is the link to the processor. accordiongly to this it does supports 64 bit. but I am assuming on HOST not Guest.

I have checked and updated the BIOS to the latest. Support confirmed that there is no VT option in BIOS.

0 Kudos
vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

broken link in my above post

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For future reference you could always go back and edit the last post you did, just a fyi. I think the VT is your biggest problem with the hardware unfortunately.

If you feel the question has been answered go ahead and mark it as so.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

For 64-bit guests, you will need both EM64T extensions as well as VT. Without either is a no go.

-KjB

0 Kudos
vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I am SOL. Thank you for verification. question has been answered

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Don't forget to award points by marking helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

0 Kudos