VMware Cloud Community
kamran7446
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual machine not pinging

Hi everyone,

I have got a sort of bizarre situation. The virtual machine (Windows server 2008) which I have created most of the time is online and accessible (pinging, rdp,...) but sometimes goes to "sleep" and not pinging (obviously no rdp and effectively offline from the network). Although it is actually up and running. As soon as I migrate from one ESX server within the cluster to another, it starts pinging and become available. I have found no trace or event to link this behaviour in the VM "Events" or in ESX "Event log". Could someone please advise me what could be the cause or how can I troubleshoot this strange behaviour. Thanks.

Kamran7446

0 Kudos
5 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

Do you have any power settings set up on the server which possibly switches off the network card to conserve power or put the host to sleep? Migrating a host on power conservation settings would then contact the network and wake it up from the sleep mode it may be in.

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
kamran7446
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Gregg,

I checked the power option of the Network card of the server, and it was checked. This is the default settings of the Windows server 2008 as I checked with the other servers in the network. But as you suggested, I unchecked this option to see it might resolve the issue. I have to wait and see if the problem occurs again or not. I will let you know as soon as the server's status changes. But meanwhile I would appreciate if anyone has got any different idea which could cause this problem. Thanks.

Kamran7446 

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

kamran7446 wrote:

But meanwhile I would appreciate if anyone has got any different idea which could cause this problem. Thanks.

Do the problem start just when the VM is idle at a host or do you see it after a vMotion?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

Did the disabling of the power options fix the problem?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
kamran7446
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Gregg,

Thanks a lot for your reply. The issue happened again, but apparently it is something to do with the network security which has changed in our environment. Actually the server itself is okay and accessible from certain subnets, but not from the others. I have already asked the Security team to rectify this issue. But as I said this perticular incident was to do with the network security configuration (vlan related). So from VMware point of view I bconsider this issue  as a resolved one. Thanks again for actively involving in this discussion. 

Regards,

Kamran7446

0 Kudos