VMware Cloud Community
Groots
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machines - Delay in Power On/Power Off

I have just completed a complete fresh install of VC 2.5 and ESX 3.5 Enterprise using 2 * Dell 1950 servers. The installation, configuration and licensing has worked well, however I am experiencing a delay of approximately 1.5 to 2 minutes whenever you try to manually start a Virtual machine (guest). This happens as soon as you try to start a newly created Virtual machine (using the wizard) and it makes no difference even if an OS has been installed. Once the guest OS is started The virtual machine performs as expected.

Powering the guest off by using the Power Off option (setting to power off guest) will also take about 1.5 to 2 minutes to power off completely and give back control to all the menu options. The Virtual machine icon indicates that the machine is powered off but the Recent Tasks pane show that the status is "In Progress". Control is on returned when the status indicates that it is Completed.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert

Are vmware tools installed on your VM? they are very important for correct VM functionality.

Bye

0 Kudos
Groots
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools are installed. As I indicated the problem is present when trying to power on a brand new created virtual machine before the OS is installed. The issue still exists after the OS has been install including the installation of VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert

Try to connect direct to your esx server using VI Client. Does your vms still start slow?

If nt (what I expect) you have a communication problem between VC und ESX I would guess.

Is your name resolveing setup correct - FQDN.... ?

Regards

Spex

Groots
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the comments. I have resolve the issue, but do not know why it happened.

I installed ESX 3.0.2 on a similar server and this to exhibited the same issue - Slow virtual machine power on - although it was a bit faster. This would indicate that the problem was with the VC Server or Licensing Server.

I then reinstalled the licensing and that made no difference. I then unistalled VC 2.5 and SQL Express 2005 and installed VC 2.0.2 and the version of SQL that cames with this version - This resolved the issue.

Not satisfied, I unstalled VC 2.0.2 and SQL and then reinstalled a fresh copy of VC 2.5 and SQL that came with that version - That also seemd to work

The only thing that is different in this process is that I started with SQL Express 2005 and not the version of SQL supplied on thre CD - Can not see why that should have been an issue.

0 Kudos