VMware Cloud Community
gothicreader
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Maximus

I've ran into an issue where I've reach the number of PCI devices for a given virtual machine. I need to add another NIC, which I'm not able to due to the maximum limits for adding a PCI device on a virtual machine. VMware has noted 6 PCI devices are the limit, and they list those as:

|

<div class="TC_TableCell">(VMware Server only), video cards (exactly one is present in every virtual machine), and VMI-ROM.</div>

<div class="TC_TableCell">
</div>

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can work around this? I don't have an option to on the require NIC I need for the application I'm trying to install.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Judy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know there is no way around this - 6 is the limit - what are you trying to accomplish with the extra NICs&gt;

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert

Here is a document that gives you the Max's.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
gothicreader
Contributor
Contributor

All,

I'm trying to setup 2 heartbeat NIC and 1 network NIC, which is the minimum requirement of the application.

I guess I'll have to figure out a way around this.

Thank you all for your response!.

0 Kudos
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could try the virtual machine guest tagging (VGT). If you can do VLANs you can have the virtual machine handle it's own VLANs but assigning the port group VLAN 4905 on the vSwitch.

0 Kudos