VMware Cloud Community
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

Virttual Machine not starting

Hi

I had a Virtual server running Windows 2003 server that had a 12Gb disk that contained all the O/S and program files and a 60Gb disk that just had data. We needed to reclaim some disk space on the SAN and as there was hardly any data on the 60Gb drive I moved the Data to the 12Gb drive.

I then deleted the partition in the Windows VM and shut down the Virtual Machine.

I then edited the settings of the Virtual Machine and deleted the 60Gb disk opting to delete the files from the SAN.

I have now tried to restart the VM and it will not start.

We are using ESX 3.01 and Virtual Center 2.01.

In the Task Pane I am told that the VM is starting but it has been saying that for 12 hours.

In the task Pane if I right click on the "Starting" task I can not cancell the operation as "cancell" is Greyed out.

If I right click on the VM in virtual center everything is greyed out except console which if I click opens the VM console to a black/blank screen.

The VM is in a state where I can not power it on or off, cancell the current operation or do anything with it.

Is there anything I can do or any idea what I may have done wrong to get into this state. Luckily this is a test environment and I can rebuild the VM but I would like to know what I did wrong or if it can be recovered in case this ever happens on a live server.

Regards

Kevan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GavinJ
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Not seen that particular symptom myself but can you post the contents of the VM .vmx file as a starting point.

0 Kudos
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I found the following link by searching the forum and this has solved my issue.

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=600824&#600824

Basically, I went to the Host ESX server looked at the VM machine there, saw it was not started and started it with no problem.

I returned to virtual center and could see that the VM was now started but under Tasks it said the start was still progressing.

I restarted the Cirtual center service on the Virtual center server and when I looged back into virtual center all was OK.

Regards

Kevan

0 Kudos