Harpstein
Contributor
Contributor

Video Performance - Does it get better?

We have an issue on one of our POC projects. We have a VM of XP Pro with 2GB and 1vCPU. It's running on VI3U2, with an EMC CX3-40 4GB FC backend. The hardware acceleration is set all the way up. The client is connecting directly using RDP from a WYSE client with 512 MB of memory. We are seeing some serious video performance issues when using AutoCAD. Runs fine until you open an image, then there is a 5-6 second delay anytime there is anything done to the image. A new line is drawn, anything moves, or anything is cut or pasted. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can increase the video performance? Anyone know where the video/graphics processing is taking place?

Thanks for the help!!

Tim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You did not mention it so I want to confirm that you have vmware tools installed? The virtual graphic card i seen as an SVGA II card - video graphics processing is taking place in the vmkernel - there is no seperate processing so AutoCAD might not be the best application to run in a VM

If you find this or any other answer please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

AutoCAD is a strong D using application. All the stuff that would normally be executed in silicon on a regular desktop with a decent video card is now being edxecuted in emulation on the ESX host - the performance is going to suck.

3D applications are not good candidates for virtualization.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos