VMware Cloud Community
morde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very very slow guest performance after migrating to another ESX host

Hello,

I've been experiencing an issue where after I migrate some machines to my ESX1 they are very slow. The machine is using no CPU but the memory gets stuck at 75% and sometimes spikes to 92% on the vm that I move to it. I can move the same VM back to my ESX2 and it runs like normal. The VM I'm moving is running Windows 2003. Also, the VM's already on ESX1 that weren't just moved there are running fine, its just any new VM I try to move there that runs slow and never speeds up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/dynamickc.do?externalId=1003638&sliceId=1&command=show&forward=nont...

update 1 didnt fix the issue but this did

If you find this or any post helpful please award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Could you provide some more information? Are both ESX hosts running the same version (ESX vs ESXi) and patch level? What version of VC?

Have you tried rebooting the guest once it is migrated to the new ESX server?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
morde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Virtual Center version is 2.5. The 2 host were running the same version, but I ran some updates on ESX1 when I encountered this issue. My ESX1 is now 3.5.0 98103, and ESX2 is 3.5.0 64607. I have shutdown and rebooted the guest after its been moved and the memory still uses up 75%. It's very odd. I let it run for an 30min thinking it would eventuallly go back down but it stayed pegged at 75%.

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there any physical hardware differences between the two systems? or is there any configuration difference? (i.e. SAN fabric configuration difference)

Most of time when you see this sort of dramatic change it can be traced to either of these issues.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
morde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

They are the same hardware and same configuration, but before this happened i was investigating the network configuration of the two host and came across something. For both machines there is a Virtual Switch that connects to an EMC over ISCSI. Well for ESX1 the nic that was added was not the same as the one for ESX2. For instance ESX1 was using vmnic5 which wasn't connected while ESX2 was using vmnic3 which was connected. So I added vmnic3 to the ESX1 host and I removed vmnic5.

0 Kudos
stormlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/dynamickc.do?externalId=1003638&sliceId=1&command=show&forward=nont...

update 1 didnt fix the issue but this did

0 Kudos
morde
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was the bug that storm pointed out. Updating VC and ESX to update2 took care of it.

0 Kudos