VMware Cloud Community
rickcolarchik
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools re-install or upgrade creates duplicate VMCI Host driver in Windows 2016 server

I have noticed that if I re-install/upgrade VMware tools from the 64bit installer within Windows Server 2016 it creates an additional instance of the VMCI host driver in device manager.

The extra driver creates a Warning event  in the Windows system log = VMCI: Failed to create device (status=0xc0000035) Source vmci EventID: 2.

While troubleshooting the event, I removed and re-installed the VMware tools.  This created a third instance of the driver and a second instance of the System Log warning.

I noticed that the extra devices (displaying the Bang exclamation for not functioning hardware) showed in their properties window that the driver failed due to "duplicate name exists".

Workaround = In troubleshooting on a non-vital system, I right clicked and un-installed the errored instances of the VMCI Host driver (duplicates) and left the copy that the driver loaded correctly.

Upon restart the System log warning did not return and the normal VMware VMCI Host Device driver loaded normally.

Is this problem created by the VMCI Host driver being locked by the windows system during re-install/un-install?

Reason for the question is to possibly have the issue corrected in future revisions of the VMWare tools installer so manual removal of the erred drivers is not required.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OITjason
Contributor
Contributor

We have the exact same issue 😕

0 Kudos
TheHun85
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Experiencing  the same exact issue.

0 Kudos
Hopital48
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue too, it's boring... really.

0 Kudos
pignitobibuf
Contributor
Contributor

1. Open Device Manager in Windows by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting Device Manager from the menu.
  2. In the Device Manager window, expand the System Devices category.
  3. Look for the VMCI Host Devices and locate any duplicate entries. The duplicates will have a yellow exclamation mark icon.
  4. Right-click on each duplicate entry and select Uninstall Device. Select the checkbox that says "Delete the driver software for this device" and click Uninstall.
  5. Repeat this process for all duplicate VMCI Host devices.
  6. Once you have uninstalled all duplicate VMCI Host devices, right-click on the System Devices category and select Scan for hardware changes.
  7. This will trigger Windows to search for and reinstall the missing driver.
  8. Reboot the server to ensure that the changes take effect.

BallSportsGames

0 Kudos