VMware Cloud Community
DeltaV
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools on Windows Server 2019, VMware Tools is not installed on this virtual machine

Hello,

We are running vSphere 6.7.0.2 and our ESXi hosts are 6.5.0.

I have installed Server 2019 Core, installed VMware Tools, but vSphere is reporting "VMware Tools is not installed on this virtual machine." Which means that we are unable to do things like, Shutdown guest os, see the IP of the VM, etc. The network is working with VMXNET 3, so I believe the drivers are working like they should in the OS. We are also unable to do OS Customizations when cloning, which I think is due to VMWare Tools not being detected. Does anyone know the fix?

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I would highly doubt Server 2019, which was just released, now supports VMware Tools on core. In the past, there were some issues but most should be supported. If you need an official statement of support, contact GSS.

0 Kudos
DeltaV
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools is installed, the drivers are working, it's just vSphere is not recognizing that VMware Tools is installed.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Uninstall the old version, download and install (from MyVMware) version 10.3.5 and install on your 2019 machine. It should show up and current.

0 Kudos
jossmi
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't figured out why, but I have had to install VMware tools twice on guests running Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10. The first install appears to complete successfully and the vmxnet3 driver works fine after rebooting, but VCSA continues to indicate that the tools are not installed. After I run the installation a second time and choose Repair, everything is fine.

cgrossk
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't seem to help my situation.  Neither did reinstalling it.  I always receive the error:

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 3 The error message was: Quiesce operation aborted

0 Kudos
DMooreNetstream
Contributor
Contributor

try shortening your source template server name to 15 or under chars. I was getting the same error until I shortened the name. See this post where I found the issue.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Discussions/OS-Customization-error-deploying-Server...

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Are you taking a snapshot?

0 Kudos
ak_v
Contributor
Contributor

That works for me too. Initially I had forgotten to install the VSCI driver and added it later:

1) Mount VMware Tools

2) Install the VSCI driver by choosing apropriate components.

3) Rebooted a VM, but ESXi doesn't see tools. 

4) Mount tools again and Repaired the installation.

The host can see the tools without rebooting a VM.

0 Kudos
Priyantha1993
Contributor
Contributor

Hy, You can install VMware tools Manually

Download VMware tools 

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1135&productId=1073&rPId=7... 

Extract Zip file and select windows iso and upload File to Datastore 

then you can mount the ISO file to VM after the mount install wizard automatically if not open the CMD and run the below the command 

D:\setup.exe

0 Kudos
gurri
Contributor
Contributor

worked for me too !

0 Kudos