VMware Cloud Community
miro_ilias
Contributor
Contributor

VMware SVGA 3D v.8.17.2.1 on Windows2019 Server

Hello,

on our  virtual  Windows2019 Server we have the VMware SVGA 3D v.8.17.2.1 display driver.

Although SVGA provides OpenGL support, the GUI application (avogadro.cc) is not displaying molecules correctly. Avogadro registers them, but do not show them. Neither can I change the color of the View-board. 

Could this display issue on the remote Windows2019 Server  desktop be related to the VMware SVGA 3D driver ?

See the printscreen:

opengl-on-windows2019.png

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@miro_ilias 

Moderator: Please state which VMware product you are using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
miro_ilias
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

the VMware product it is the driver for the display adapter, see the printscreen below.

In between also got post (https://community.khronos.org/t/opengl-and-wmware-svga-3d-in-windows-server-2019/106699/4?u=miro_ili... that the problem is "VMWare Guest OS doesn’t provide OpenGL “compatibility” profile support. It provides OpenGL 3.3 “core” profile support."

Is there a way to get VMware driver covering also the OpenGL compatibility ?

Thanks.

wmware-display-adapter.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@miro_ilias 

That’s not what I meant, which VMware product is the VM running on? ESXi, Fusion, Workstation, or something else?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
miro_ilias
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

got asnwer from our admin:

Hypervisor: VMware ESXi, 6.0.0, 15517548

Virtual server uses vmtools version: 11.2.0    (11328)

Is this anwer sufficient ?

Miro

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@miro_ilias 

Moderator: Please try and create threads in the area for the product used. Moved to the VM Tools sub-area of the vSphere area, nothing to do with Skyline.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@miro_ilias 

Moderator: Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic, your duplicate has been archived.

0 Kudos
miro_ilias
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry,  if it would be please possible to move this thread to the proper forum under "VM Tools sub-area of the vSphere area".

Because there I just replicated this thread, and this shown to be prohibited. How can I proceed then ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@miro_ilias 

Not sure what you are asking, this thread is already in that area exactly as I mentioned in my earlier reply.

You can see the thread location towards the top of the screen:

D8FEA80E-4BD2-4FE2-916C-19751CA37816.jpeg

Your duplicate thread was archived to an area only accessible by moderators and admins.

0 Kudos
miro_ilias
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for placing this thread into the proper forum location. Now I am awaiting answers...

0 Kudos
alexgsdgr
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this will be a permanent fix, but it helped me overcome some OpenGL problems w/ the latest Windows updates.

Then I confirmed w/ OpenGL Extensions Viewer that this VM is using the SVGA 3D renderer.

0 Kudos
Cyril1
Contributor
Contributor

What is the difference between XDDM and WDDM? I am an active user of Windows and it will be useful to learn more nuances

Regards
Software developer
work time

0 Kudos