VMware Cloud Community
bill_french
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs: Sound, Wyse, Remote Desktop, and KB 1001699

Hello! Based on this KB:

.. it would seem a vm can be configured so that audio can function over remote desktop / RDP ...

Well, I followed the instructions, and it doesn't work. I'm not sure what to do, now. Did something about this feature change with 3.5?

The only kind of clue i have is there is now a "c:\program files\wyse\wyse mmr folder", but it is empty. I don't see anything useful in device manager, or in "sounds and audio devices" on the w2k3 vm.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you said multimedia, I assumed video feeds. yes, the audio feed should work just fine, although, may be a little choppy.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the KB article is correct, however in order for this piece to work properly, you still need to have it licensed through WYSE. When the thin client boots, it will look to it's ftp site for the license key, if that key is found, the multimedia redirection piece will work.

Wyse will give you a trial key if you'd like to use it. However, the multimedia piece installed in the VMware Tools is older and WYSE will recommend using the WYSE Multimedia redirection piece instead

http://www.softcat.com/files/pdfs/WyseTCXMultimedia.pdf

0 Kudos
bill_french
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, getting audio to play back through RDP requires me to purchase a wyse license? That certainly could have been made more clear in the documents.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in short, yes. Because your connection device is a WYSE client, it needs to be licensed properly to redirect the multimedia. RPD mutimedia in itself is terrible, this add on piece will help "clean it up". The WYSE piece streams the multimedia outside of the RDP protocol.

As for a why it has to be a licensed feature, VMware and WYSE can probably answer that question

HP offers something similiar

0 Kudos
bill_french
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm... Maybe I have gone down the completely incorrect path.

Here's what i'm trying to do:

1. I have a w2k3 virtual machine acting as a terminal server for a silly application that has some audio

2. I have various workstations (mostly xp) connecting to the terminal server, running the application .. but audio does not work

... but reading it now I see that I was probably misunderstanding what they were saying.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

unfortunatley without the product WYSE offers or HP offers, ESX does not support multimedia redirection.

0 Kudos
bill_french
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually got it working. It never occured to me that the audio not working over RDP had nothing to do with ESX, but is instead turned off by default in w2k3. Thanks for your help, though.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you said multimedia, I assumed video feeds. yes, the audio feed should work just fine, although, may be a little choppy.

0 Kudos