VMware Cloud Community
M_Reynolds
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMX connection handshake failed for mks of /vmfs/volumes/......

When powering on an Ubuntu VM and opening up a console I get the error "VMX connection handshake failed for mks of /vmfs/volumes/<hex number>/vmfolder/vmname.vmx". The VM then turns off. This only happens on one of the VM's. I get the same error even after rebooting the host.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmm. mks is 'monitor/keyboard/screen', so you're not getting console to the vm. If you can't power it on, try to remove that vm from inventory. Run 'service mgmt-vmware restart' to restart your hostd process. Then, browse your vmfs datastore, browse to the vm folder that you are having trouble with, and re-add it to inventory.

Then, try to power it on.

If you still can not power it on, attach the vmware.log from the same vm folder to your post.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmm. mks is 'monitor/keyboard/screen', so you're not getting console to the vm. If you can't power it on, try to remove that vm from inventory. Run 'service mgmt-vmware restart' to restart your hostd process. Then, browse your vmfs datastore, browse to the vm folder that you are having trouble with, and re-add it to inventory.

Then, try to power it on.

If you still can not power it on, attach the vmware.log from the same vm folder to your post.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would suggest you try creating a new VM and move the vmdk disk over to it. It sounds like the defintion is corrupted.

Also you could try re-installing the VMware tools if you have not done that yet.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos